Open Source video editing software

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AmigaMan

Open Source video editing software

Post by AmigaMan »

The pro video editing software Lightworks is soon to become Open Source.
Those that register will, apparently, be first to be offered it free.
Go here...
http://www.editshare.com/index.php?opti ... Itemid=203
and click on 'Download' on the left and fill in the form if you are interested.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Thanks for the heads up!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Uolter

Post by Uolter »

Cool! Thanks Dale
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Thanks for the link as I am always interested in new software; even more when its free!

I already have Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 and was just wondering if anyone has used Lightworks and know if it offers anything that Vegas doesn't?
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

Haha, isn't that always the way. I looked high and low for an open-source editing solution for many years but had no luck. I eventually gave up and bought Adobe Production Suite Premium off of Amazon for $1700 a few months ago!

Anyway, this is great news for both the open-source community as well as movie makers everywhere!

Thanks for the tip, AmigaMan!
crsP

Post by crsP »

I can't see any system requirements on their site. The list of imported file types shows some bias towards the mac, so is this for osx?
JCook

Post by JCook »

Windows only, according to their downloadable catalog.

Jack
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

If it is single system, I don't think it'll stay that way for long once it goes open-source.
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

I downloaded and installed the software, but when I start it up it begins to initialize and then closes. If any one has had success or problems please post. Looks like a great software. Thanks.

udd
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

uddhava wrote:I downloaded and installed the software, but when I start it up it begins to initialize and then closes. If any one has had success or problems please post. Looks like a great software. Thanks.
Exactly same problem here.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Ok, I uninstalled Matrox codecs and now the software opens. The problem now is that seems to be no one video format is accepted.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

I left the codecs installed, but to start the application I went to the program files Lightworks folder and clicked on the ntcardvt file which is listed as an application and started it from there.(Lucky guess) Now it starts from the regular shortcut and will open different video files, but not all. However, it crashes a lot. I will look at it more later.

udd
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

uddhava wrote:I left the codecs installed, but to start the application I went to the program files Lightworks folder and clicked on the ntcardvt file which is listed as an application and started it from there.(Lucky guess) Now it starts from the regular shortcut and will open different video files, but not all. However, it crashes a lot. I will look at it more later.
Wow, that worked, thank you!
Now all is about understanding it... I'm familiar with premiere and final cut, but this seems to be very different. Good, I like paradigm changing.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

Selgin,

I'm glad that worked for you. Are you having problems with it crashing a lot? Maybe you haven't tried to use it very much yet.
One thing is I only have an integrated graphics card, but I don't know if that would cause it to crash.

udd
Imago

Post by Imago »

How I can download it?
I subscribed a couple of weeks ago, but I received only one mail about the registration...
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q