New 2D Animation Software to be released

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

If you put both of your posts together they still don't come close to mine. So who is the "hairy troll?" I'd say you two trouble makers!
Jean_R

Post by Jean_R »

Try to use part of a forum specifically dedicated to a particular software, to promote competing software. That is especially hairy.
crsP

Post by crsP »

Calm your socks people!

I don't think there's anything wrong with posting about competing software - might turn out to be just the thing that is needed to fill a gap in ASP's Grand Canyon. heh. Although Crazy Talk Animator has shown itself to be not such a program. HAHA!

Saying that, Infocentral, all that was done was the post was moved to a more appropriate section. No big deal. If the discussion was related more to integration of CTA with ASP then I could see why it would be controversial to move it.
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

InfoCentral wrote:If you put both of your posts together they still don't come close to mine.
Again, what specifically is the point? That you have twice as more BS postings? Twice as many postings poking the hairy beast, and causing trouble? My, that must make you some kind of forum god then, eh?
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

Back to being on-topic...

Anyways, I've concluded a first pass at an animated clip this this here new fangled product... Still a first pass, have lots more I want to do with it, tweaking the timings, some of the movements, and adding music, most of which I'll most likely do in a external video editor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2fRSx6ptWE
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

See, there your off again trying to start as much trouble as you can get away with. Do you two trouble makers have anything better to do? If I were the moderator here, and I just may become one, I'd revoke both of your privileges in a heartbeat!

This is a discussion board and your to conduct yourselves accordingly. That means discussing the topic and not making the person the object of the topic. Try to keep that in mind. I hope I didn't fly too far over your heads on this one...
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

InfoCentral wrote:See, there your off again trying to start as much trouble as you can get away with. Do you two trouble makers have anything better to do? If I were the moderator here, and I just may become one, I'd revoke both of your privileges in a heartbeat!

This is a discussion board and your to conduct yourselves accordingly. That means discussing the topic and not making the person the object of the topic. Try to keep that in mind. I hope I didn't fly too far over your heads on this one...
Then perhaps you should've made your response be on-topic instead of veering down the path you chose...
Psmith

Why Not Use Free Software For Cutout Animation?

Post by Psmith »

I really can only see one benefit to using Crazy Talk Animator - the human based facial morphing and lip syncing.

For any other type of cartoon animation - especially cut-out animation - there is no need to spend this kind of money. Just download the free version of Creatoon, (all versions are free).

http://www.creatoon.com/

There is no kind of image morphing included in Crazy Talk Animator - other than for a human-like face. Totally cartoon style characters, (ala Warner Bros.), would be very difficult to animate with this software.

Actually, having owned and used all of the major 2D software animation packages - Anime Studio Pro has the most solid set of tools needed for the true cartoon animator - animating alone and trying to save the time otherwise spent drawing individual frames. No need to look elsewhere - it just gets more complicated and frustrating.

It's not perfect, even by my standards - but it is the most complete to date. Not for hand drawn, individually framed animations - but for using the best a computer can give, at this point in time, to the goal of shortening and streamlining the 2D animation process.

Greg Smith[/url]
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Are you the same Greg Smith who posted before?
If you are, welcome back. I suppose you have a good reason to the nickname change.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Selgin:

Yes, I'm the same guy. I just couldn't log in using any of the names I have ever used - so I created a new one. I tried them all - none worked.

Greg Smith
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Psmith wrote:I really can only see one benefit to using Crazy Talk Animator - the human based facial morphing and lip syncing.
I bought Crazy Talk 6 to have a look at CT Animator, and I'm coming to the same conclusion. Also, CT6 is intuitive and easy to use -- CT Animator is anything but, with quite a crppled Standard version. Early days, I suppose, but I won't be making any switch just yet...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

I have Anime Studio Pro and ToonBoom Studio, and to date have been unable to make a simple movie in them. They are overly complicated for someone who just wants to mess around with animation.

I'm not a professional, I do not necessarily want to learn the technical and mechanical workings of bones, creating walk cycles, buidling layer upon layer of things... I just want a quick and easy way to tell a quick story or joke. CrazyTalk Animator gives me that. It gives me everything I need to create an animation, as opposed to setting up an animation. And if I'm willing to put a bit more effort or work into it, it gives the the capability to be even more advanced with animated rpops, character modifications, even new character creation (here's where it requires a bit more work, it's still not as streamlined as it should be)...

ASP and TBS are great for tech heads who love the technical aspect of it. I don't want to make this a career, I don't want to make warner brothers commercial flicks, I want to mess around, have fun, and be animating quickly.
crsP

Post by crsP »

wizaerd wrote:I have Anime Studio Pro and ToonBoom Studio, and to date have been unable to make a simple movie in them. They are overly complicated for someone who just wants to mess around with animation.

I'm not a professional, I do not necessarily want to learn the technical and mechanical workings of bones, creating walk cycles, buidling layer upon layer of things... I just want a quick and easy way to tell a quick story or joke. CrazyTalk Animator gives me that. It gives me everything I need to create an animation, as opposed to setting up an animation. And if I'm willing to put a bit more effort or work into it, it gives the the capability to be even more advanced with animated rpops, character modifications, even new character creation (here's where it requires a bit more work, it's still not as streamlined as it should be)...

ASP and TBS are great for tech heads who love the technical aspect of it. I don't want to make this a career, I don't want to make warner brothers commercial flicks, I want to mess around, have fun, and be animating quickly.
What nonsense. You're just trying to convince yourself that there is a good reason for anyone with AS to use CTA. If you want to use CTA because you like the company or you're a fan of crazy talk, or for whatever reason you may have, go ahead. I am not stopping you, or even trying to convince you of the virtues of ASP. But you shouldn't present these irrational personal choices as an indictment of ASP or TBS.

Maybe the reason you have not created anything so far with the two software is your fundamental lack of understanding of even the basics of how animation is produced? What is this ‘layer upon layer of building’ you refer to, for example? Sure you’ll probably see screen grabs of layer lists with 10’s of layers, but that’s just how that person prefers to work. I can have a character with bones in two layers - one for the vectors one for the bones. In TBS it’s even more simple. You could if you wish animate on one layer from start to finish. Same with ASP come to think of it, if you just use point animation.

The idea that these two apps are for ‘tech heads’, as you put it, seems so ridiculous. ASP has conventions you must follow e.g. building on frame zero, animating on the rest. Just going through the manual is enough to grasp the basics. If you’re the type who doesn’t like to read manual, just load up Lenny. and you’ll see it’s quite simple and obvious, when you are shown. Nevermind the free tutorials on youtube... TBS is even more straightforward. If you understand that the basic principle of animation is a series of images played sequentially at a high enough frame rate to fool the brain into thinking it’s seeing movement, then there should be no confusion as to how it works. You load up TBS there is a list to the side - drawing 1, 2, 3, etc. You see a drawing area with a grid. You have a pen tool as default. Are you telling me you are confused at this point?!

Dude, weren’t you the one who posted on the Real Illusions forum going through some BS, long-winded, roundabout way of getting a character into this program [CTA]? Are you trying to tell us that this was a less technical way to get that character into CTA than would be in ASP? [If it was you] You brought the process down to 2 hours after practice! And you had someone already construct the character for you!!! Seriously, if it took me a further 2 hours AFTER constructing my character in ASP just to rig it up for animation, well, I would request a physical copy from Smith Micro, then I would find out where Lost Marble lived, and shove the ASP box up his bunghole! Er... figuratively, heh

In conclusion you say all you want to do is tell your story without having to create characters or animate them, yet this is included in ASP - the 300 mb that most of us complain about. You could have an orgy of unrelated characters for your story. I believe TB also sell content. So your argument doesn’t hold up. If you were really being truthful to yourself, and you are obviously willing to pay for pre-made character [because that is what you’re getting with CTA], then why didn’t you post some character sketches [can be rough if you can’t draw] and offer to pay someone here to build and rig, and even include a walk cycle for you? Too logical, eh? Or too technical indeed.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

wizaerd wrote:I have Anime Studio Pro and ToonBoom Studio, and to date have been unable to make a simple movie in them. They are overly complicated for someone who just wants to mess around with animation.
I think AS can be used for professionals and also can be perferct for just messing around with animation.
AS is not complicated at all, TB a little bit but the learning curves of both are way different, i have studied both softwares before and read its manuals and definitely it will take you much longer to learn TB than AS.
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

No. I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything. If you don't agree, then fine... everyone is entitled to their opinion. Regardless of how asinine one is in expressing it. Use ASP, use TBS, use CTA, hell use a friggin crayon if you want, I don't really care.

I was merely sharing some information, take it for what it's worth. And just as a follow up, I have since learned that CTA isn't going to be coming anywhere near the level of functionality that TBA or ASP offers, and as such I'll continue to "play" with it, but I'm focused mostly on TBS/TBA right now.

And for the record, I more than understand the fundamentals of animation. As a child, many many many years ago, I did flipbook drawings (ok, so they graphically sucked, but still), in high school (also many many many years ago) I did stop motion animation films just for the heck of it, and have since then have evaluated and/or used practically every 2D and 3D application available. I've been "playing" at this for quite a few years, maybe even longer than some here have been alive. So let's not "assume" anything, ok...

I know I should probably just leave it alone at this point, but let me clarify... the long drawn out process was for customizing one of the prebuilt sprite based characters. The application features a full body photo fitting, with facial fitting for a truly custom character in mere moments. but bitmap based, not sprite based. never mind, obviously you've taken what I wrote as a personal affront, which I cannot help. Go build your rigs and your layers and come to grips with the shortcomings, of which there are many published workarounds for, in the proram you obviously love.