Problems with Potrace

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rasheed

Problems with Potrace

Post by Rasheed »

I have a problem with Potrace. It seems it can only produce fills. Outlines are much more useful than fills. Isn't there a similar free utility for the PPC (Macintosh) that produces outlines instead of fills?
JCook

Post by JCook »

I've used a program called Delineate (for Mac), but it's really a sort of Potrace clone, and it does the same thing. I haven't really explored it that much so I'm not sure if there's an outline option. But, what about taking the output file of Potrace, opening it in Illustrator (or whatever vector program you use) and assigning strokes then deleting the fills. Then export to use in Moho. I havent' tried this, but it might be workable. Just an idea to try.

Jack
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Doesn't Delineate only create SVG files?

I've tried your solution and ended up with this:
Not what I want, alas.
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

Are you using Potrace in Inkscape? If you are select the shapes and add a outline to them. When you export you'll get the result you are looking for.

Brian
Sometimes in order to accomplish something you need to not sleep.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I guess this all means you cannot turn hand drawn line art into outlined vector drawings using an autotracer, at least not the way I want it. I want the outlines to replace the bitmap lines, not to enclose them, like in the picture above.

Even inkscape's Potrace drew outlines around the bitmap lines, as did the online version of Autotrace.

So it's either create colored artwork w/o outlines, or trace the bitmap in an app like Expression 3 (rather inaccurate if done with a mouse).

Offtopic: This also answers my question "Should I buy a scanner to scan my art work or an art tablet to draw directly into a vector drawing program?"

An art tablet is a far better choice, it seems. You can both draw from scratch, and put your artwork on the tablet and trace it with the stylus. Unfortunately, the good/useful ones are rather expensive (more than 180 euros for a Wacom Graphire3 Classic XL), and therefore far above my current budget.
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

You only need a 6 x 9 size tablet really. And I've seen them for around $60. You can still trace fairly well.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Nichod wrote:You only need a 6 x 9 size tablet really. And I've seen them for around $60. You can still trace fairly well.
Well, the Graphire3 XL has an active surface of 209 x 151 mm (8.2 x 5.9 inches), and costs 187.38 euros, incl. VAT and shipping costs at Wacomshop.nl, which is one of the cheapest suppliers here in the Netherlands (this Graphire3 XL was actually on offer).
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

I just used Autotraces online service and it worked fine with eps export. When you bring in the eps file you have to apply the outline youself by selecting the shape. But thats not a big deal. For some reason I can't get inkscape .eps files to import into Moho whether its a tracing or a simple circle. Going to run some more tests.

Brian
JCook

Post by JCook »

I highly recommend a drawing tablet, especially the Wacom Intuos or Graphire (those are the two I use, and they are very good). But a scanner is also a very good tool to have. If your budget can support it I think it would be worthwhile to have both. I'd probably get the tablet first, though.

Jack
janimatic

Post by janimatic »

hey!

did you try the native osX version of autotrace ?

http://autotrace.darwinports.com

related topic :
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=749

Keep me in track (i need to now if it works but don't have a mac here)
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Sorry, I can't either, it's for OS X 10.4 (Tiger). I still use Panther (10.3).
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

I redownloaded Inkscape. Took awhile..they have a slow (or busy?) server. I thought I might have a corrupt install of Inkscape because I had an error message on load. So will try the scan and export sometime by Monday. But again I did use the Autotrace online and the result imported cleanly into Moho. What are you trying to scan? I can scan it myself with the online version and then post up the moho file here.

Brian