CHAMP

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

TheChewanater

CHAMP

Post by TheChewanater »

CHamp Animation Making Program
Right now I'm working on writing a free open-source program called CHAMP. It aims to be a simple vector animation program primarily for GNU/Linux and friends (but it's portable to Window$ and Macinto$h). I'm writing it using libraries including Gtkmm, Cairomm, Guile, and possible more for SVG loading and saving and other features.

Currently, it's limited to manipulating simple primitives, and the only way to do more is through the scripting interface. However, I plan to work on it more and release CHAMP Alpha 1.0 (the final alpha release) somewhere around the end of the year. Since this is a FLOSS project, anyone who wants to can modify it and help out.

If anyone's actually interested, you can download it here.
ImageImage
meltedtoons

Post by meltedtoons »

suggestion : can you make it support FBF and allow freehand tools? I know that the program recently just launched but perhaps for future release?
TheChewanater

Post by TheChewanater »

suggestion : can you make it support FBF and allow freehand tools? I know that the program recently just launched but perhaps for future release?
Oh, I forgot to put up my estimated timeline here. And thanks for the suggestion, I didn't even think about freehand tools.

Plan for alpha releases (subject to change):
  • CHAMP Alpha 0.2: Write scripts, bare-bones graphics, add polygons, drag them, delete them, pan the stage
  • CHAMP Alpha 0.4: Edit shapes, change colors, alpha, line width
  • CHAMP Alpha 0.6: Timeline, keyframes
  • CHAMP Alpha 0.8: Export image sequences
  • CHAMP Alpha 1.0: Make sure everything is stable, remove any bugs, clean up code
It's too soon to tell what Beta 0.x will be, but basically it will focus on adding more advanced features.
ImageImage
Genete

Post by Genete »

That's cool!
It is great to hear that a new animation program comes to the scene.
I'm currently involved in Synfig development. If you decide to join us to push Synfig to be a better software we will be so happy to have you with us.

Meanwhile I wish you all the best in this new adventure.

-G
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Seeing those bezier handles made me go whoa!

Synfig does something very similar, I think those guys would kill to have you on their team.
aster

Post by aster »

thanks for interesting info...