Easy to learn and powerful 3D anim. software

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Toontoonz wrote:
Rasheed wrote:If, as you say, I hold a pencil, draw what I see, concentrate, be patient, stay motivated and perservere with using my pencil to draw what I see I, too, will be a creative genius like those geniuses of the animation? That´s all there is to it? No talent needed? Yahoooo!!!! :D :!: :D
No I didn't write that. I wrote that if you want to create a work of art, you only need some qualities almost everyone has. I didn't claim those qualities make you a genius, nor the work of art has any particular value on the buyer's market.

I only wanted to say that many people think they lack certain talents to be creative and original, while in fact they can be creative and original. And even if other people don't appreciate the quality of their output, they still have made something that wasn't there before, which in itself is a wonder.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

THANKS to all! Really I don't want to buy a program I WANT TO BUY a LM!!! I know that any program will be like I want, and if Moho have been not is clear that AM neither will be... I'd like can travel to the future and get Moho 9.0.1 (i.e) and I'm SURE that will be the perfect program for me, because I'm sure that all that things that I want will come, but well...
Toontoonz wrote:Tip: Don't spend all your time trying to learn all the technical ins and outs of the programs - create animations with them.
(And if you think Moho is frustrating, spend a few weeks with Hash and you will be pulling your hair out.)
Yes, maybe I'm the problem and not the software (I'm conscient), but find the adecuate software to work seems to me more dificult and important that the tools in other profesions, can be very frustrating try to do that things that you want and can't do it like you want because the program not let you... I'm now very lost and very AFRAID to choose the adecuate program because I scared to be wrong again :? Well, maybe that I need is a little holidays...

...Ah! Toontoonz, I hope can post something some day, yes... I'm very :( SAD :( if this must be in another forum because this is that I :oops: love :oops: , but well, If that occurs, you will be the first in know it (thanks for your interest).

Now I'll go on with me frustating quest... CIAO! (I don't to rule out stay in Moho after all, uf...)
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Rasheed: Anybody can draw, anybody can sing, anybody can write, anybody can dance, anybody can act, anybody can play a musical instrument, anybody can play a sport, etc., etc., etc.
:D :D :D
What´s that old Murphy´s Law?: "Each individual rises to his own level of incompetence".
:D :D :D
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I suggest you read this from Wikipedia and other articles about creativity.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Sorry, don´t have time to read...too busy being creative! :D :D :D
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

Thanks for the link, but the statement "This article needs to be cleaned up to conform to a higher standard of article quality" isn't very assuring...

How about this one: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=creativity

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
Snudddy

Post by Snudddy »

Ramon If you think Animation master hangs itself to easy(which I fully agree with) then there is a tutorial at AM tutorial resources that teach you some stuff to avoid. I have been going crazy many times over this software and I have wanted to forget it and blow it in the air. But patience seems to pay of....

This is taken from the tip page

"Things that can be done to avoid hanging:

1) Try to not have more than one window open at a time -and if you must, maximize them so that they don't overlap - or if you have two open simultaneously, use the "Tile" commands under the Windows menu item to make sure they're using up the screen space.

2) Don't use the tabbed "Workbook" mode.

3) Save often, and it's a good idea to save versions. Tyler told me he can easily go through the alphabet in a day of working on a model (Bottle_a.mdl, Bottle_b.mdl, etc). I tend to save after every major change, and I don't see crashing nearly as much as I used to.

4) Use Undo with patience - in 10, it's actually pretty good. I still save versions, though....

5) One key is *patience* - let the software catch up to you, and if you make it through a huge copy/paste or Undo, save your model immediately. One thing I can thank AM for, is my vastly improved "Save Discipline" in all the software I use......

6) AM is a memory and CPU hog. Don't run it simultaneously with another memory hog - like Maya, Max, or Photoshop - *expecially* if you don't have a ton of memory (512 MB or more). I try not to run it with anything going in the background (except Winamp, maybe

7) Of course, make sure that your drivers are updated, etc, etc."

I know it shouldnt be like this at all, we all want stability! But if you learn where the pits are it will be much easier using AM.

Address to these tips: http://www.ksanderson.com/amtips.html
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

Rasheed wrote:I rather dislike the market model of A.M., in which IIRC you have to subscribe to be able to keep using the program.
I'm grateful to say that you are mistaken here. I'm a long-time user of A:M, and this is not actually their market model.

You pay $299 up front [I believe you can save $100 if you are a student and buy from a vendor who sells educational software], and for that price, you are given a CD [which is your key, like a dongle, and which must be in your CDROM drive when you start A:M] and a simple manual [I'm not fond of the manual].

For approximately the year following your purchase, you are granted access to any updates or new versions of A:M. These are keyed to work with your CD [and their download page tells you which CD that is -- i.e., "2005 CD" or "2004 and 2005 CD"].

Once a year, they start sending new CDs instead of the old ones. If you want to keep using the newest versions, you pay them $99, and they send you the newest CD. It's a subscription model.

You only have to pay $99 per year IF you want to use the newest version. You don't have to upgrade. You can keep using the software you bought for as long as you want [as long as you still have a computer it will run on].

Hash doesn't charge you $99 automatically, and your old version is not disabled if you decide not to pay.

I think it's a great deal, because, in the several years I've been using it, I've still paid less than a single version of a competing program would have cost me. I haven't developed much talent as a 3D animator, but I have used it successfully for work and hobby projects, so, to me, it's been worth the money.

I just purchased Moho today, after trying the demo, and Moho's similarity to A:M's spline drawing tools helped convince me that I'll be productive and happy with Moho software.
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

"dongle" Well there's no "barf" emoticon here so a :shock: :x :evil: :roll: :cry: will have to sum up my emotions here...

I still remember the Robocop 3 computergame had a "unhackable" parallel port dongle, it was released as a dongle free cracked version weeks before release... Lightwave had a dongle in the Amiga days, and can you make a copy of that Hash CD? What if the CD is scratched? The only way to stop user unfriendly copy protection like dongles and obligatory online valdiation every time you use the program is not buying the products. They only hurt the actual buyer, illiegal users have the cracked version WITHOUT the annoying protection... Ok I'll stop now, I'm glad LM didn't go that route...

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
janimatic

Post by janimatic »

Hey!

i don't know if that's off-topic?
but here are my fav 3d apps :
- silo for poly modeling [with good topology ready for animation] (100$)
- zbrush for texturing and details [and characters creation] ($489 USD)
- motion builder [ i don't know many easy and inexpensive rigging/animation packages] ($470)

- if you are rich... maya for animation and mental ray rendering ("Productivity Pack for Maya Complete is US$2,199")...
But as the resulting models are ready for rigging you could choose any other package able to import motion builder file format (FBX : LightWave, 3ds max, Maya, Softimage|3D, Softimage XSI)
ralphrubbish

Post by ralphrubbish »

i learned 3dsmax in school and pretty much hated it. i've been using lightwave professionally for over five years now though and i think its awesome. its very intuitive - i hadn't used a 3d program for years when i picked up lightwave for the first time and i was comfortable in it after only a few days of playing with it. its not the cheapest i know, but its also not as high priced as alot of its competitors.
psaldari

Post by psaldari »

Hi,
you can try Eovia Hexagon
http://www.eovia.com/products/hexagon/hexagon.asp
In the same site you can find some videos and you can see as it is easy.
I love this software and for now you can purchase it with introductory price.

Cheers
Paolo
MathiasMS

Post by MathiasMS »

Hi!

Or maybe the easiest 3D tool ever. But also the most simplest Truespace 3D.
It´s up to you. Just try and try and try. I use Cinema 4D and it´s a great 3D tool to work whit. So its all up to you. Just download alot of trials and try them out whit tutorials. Good luck in the 3D jungle. And a welcome to the 3D world. If you want to take a closer look of 3D so take a look at this website: www.cgtalk.com is just the best 3D forum and info website ever for 3D. So get started! :D
patrick_j_clarke

Post by patrick_j_clarke »

A:M is a great tool, and if you haven't used it in a while, version 11.1 (current) is a great place to start.

Very stable, and the best 3D tools around especially for Character stuff. Discounts for students, and a great community. Modeling is unique, but very powerful. Anything from trucks to toonz.

XSI Foundation would be my next choice.

Moho reminds me of A:M for the 2D world. We have 3 seats (going to buy 3 more soon) so that all of the artists have access to a kick butt program (instead of using Flash) to do 2D work. We are waiting for some legal clearance, but should have some examples of our first Moho work (by Kevin Lyon) for our network.

I would love to combine these two programs into one!!

- pjc
7feet

Post by 7feet »

I think, that of all the modeling tools I have any interest in, Silo was the one I most liked working with. Last was about a year ago, just the demo, but I dug it, the interface, etc. Since I had to rebuild the system, I'll try it out again, 'spect they've made it roll a bit smoother. Similar price point and relative ease of use, I think. Even if it's targeted to vid games, I seem to remember the couple of models I brought into Moho worked fine. Let you know when I can play with it again. But I really dug it's feel.