Easy to learn and powerful 3D anim. software

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Nichod

Post by Nichod »

Its all about Blender. I refuse to pay additional money for my 3D software. They add 2 features a year and expect another $100-300 to upgrade.

Brian
Sometimes in order to accomplish something you need to not sleep.
red hamster

Post by red hamster »

Autodesk acquired Maya, first effect: they cancelled gmax..
MarkBorok

3D apps

Post by MarkBorok »

I started with RayDream Studio (now Carrara from Eovia) and I think that's probably still the best choice for hobbyists/casual users. Probably not great for character stuff, but if you're a hobbyist then character animation is probably too much work anyway. I like the fact that it has built-in trees, landscapes and skies.

I've used A:M and really like the modeling. Not too keen on the way their renders look. The most recent version I used was 9 and that was pretty stable.

I bought Lightwave because I knew a bunch of people who were using it and mistakenly thought I could find work with it. However, it turned out every employer is looking for 3DS or Maya people. Still, having spent a bunch of dough on this powerful program I decided to stick with it. I really love the renders I've seen done with it. The consensus seems to be that it is the best program overall in terms of providing everything "out of the box".

Cinema 4D looks interesting, but I hate the way their renders look. You can have the best features in the world, but if you end up with a blah-looking render there's no point. That's just my opinion. Somehow all the renders I've seen done with C4D lack depth and atmosphere. It also costs too much for the full feature set.

I've just upgraded my copy of Poser, and there are a lot of things about it that I love, although it has a lot of problems. I mainly justify it to use for reference for my 2D character drawings.

I've used the Maya PLE, but I couldn't get into it. Although in a lot of ways Lightwave is more frustrating.
sacrejacques

Post by sacrejacques »

http://naturalmotion.com/pages/le.htm

I just found this interesting...
typo

Post by typo »

sacrejacques wrote:http://naturalmotion.com/pages/le.htm

I just found this interesting...
That's actually a very cool piece of software. They've adapted this for real-time use (i.e. games).
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

endorphin 2.5
Price U.S. $ $9,495 + annual maintenance contract of $2,395.
Or you can rent it for $1,195 a month...

:D