wings3d question

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jorgy

wings3d question

Post by jorgy »

In wings3d, how would I go about creating an arch shaped window in a wall?
typo

Post by typo »

Do you mean something like this:

jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Yeah! Exactly like that! How is it done?
typo

Post by typo »

Alright, but I'm a Wings3D noob (anything with 'smooth', I will die... Very, very early... anyways...)

Adapt these instructions to whatever structure you're working with. In this case, I selected one of the faces of a cube (the targetted window surface) in Face mode (F).

I switched into Edge mode (E), which should have all of the required edges already highlighted. I cut the edges into three pieces (either Right Click > Cut > 3; or just '3' on the keyboard). In Vertex (?) mode (V), I connected all of the vertices until I got a tic-tac-toe pattern on the wall.

Go into Edge mode (E) and select the top edge of the middle face (where the arch will lie) [NOTE: I did it a different way, but I just realized that this way would be a tad quicker). Now, you can either:

- Cut the edge into 2 pieces. Go into Vertex mode (V) and move the central vertex in the Y axis to the desired height (the 'apex' of the arch). Go back into Edge mode and select the two edges that form the arch (currently in a sharp angle) and cut them into 3 pieces (or more if you want) and rearrange the vertex points (in V mode) to the heights you see in the picture I provided.

OR

- Cut the edge into 6 pieces and go into Vertex mode (V) and move the vertices in the Y axis to the height desired. (this one is more straightforward).

After you have formed the early arch, go into Face mode (F) and select the window. Right-click and choose Inset and set it to your desired 'width'. With the inner face selected, Right-Click > Intrude and set it to your desired thickness.

If this is confusing, say so, I can trying to illustrate with pictures if necessary (though I do go to work soon).
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Perfect! That's exactly what I needed. I wasn't sure about how to cut in Vertex mode. Thanks!