Plastic animation paper

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

capricorn33

Plastic animation paper

Post by capricorn33 »

For those of you who are fans of the application Plastic Animation Paper... (I am!) The developers just released the PAP 4 pro version ... for free!

Downloadable from http://www.plasticanimationpaper.dk/

On their site you can read about their reasons for doing so too...

:-)

cheers
cap
capricorn ( - just call me "cap")
children's tv pro, character animator
jwlane

drawing

Post by jwlane »

The adjustable onion skinning looks like a very nice feature. I assume this application produces raster art, not vector. However, I did not see this clarified at the site.
2ner

Post by 2ner »

This is awesome!

Thanks very much for the news!
capricorn33

Re: drawing

Post by capricorn33 »

jwlane wrote:The adjustable onion skinning looks like a very nice feature. I assume this application produces raster art, not vector. However, I did not see this clarified at the site.
Yep it's raster only. No vector.
(And no color palette! You have to do your paintwork elsewhere down the pipeline :-P )

But I really like the intuitive interface that PAP has, quite unique (as far as I know). And it really helps me to speed up my workflow.
capricorn ( - just call me "cap")
children's tv pro, character animator
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Ive been messing with PAP 4.0 beta for awhile now, I think I'll download the Pro and see whats new since 4.0 beta was released.

Thanks for the lead.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Fantastic new!
thanks for sharing it!
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
InfoCentral

Re: Plastic animation paper

Post by InfoCentral »

Still available and the tutorials too! This is good for:
:shock: Frame-by-Frame animators
:shock: Those of us who need but are too cheap to buy a drawing program
:shock: Content creation for Motion Artist and other programs that don't have the tools
:shock: Those who like to collect apps to show off how many they have
:shock: Those who can't afford TVPaint but still want to do F-b-F animation
:shock: Those who think everything in this world should be FREE!
:shock: Bargain hunters looking for the best cost vs features
Last edited by InfoCentral on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
hnguyen

Post by hnguyen »

I missed the first post.
Thanks for bumping it. Another one for my free tool collection :D
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Good news, PAP will be back soon!
http://animationpaper.com/
It's a great software. If you want, sign up to support the software and get a discount once it's released.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

The new version appears to be Mac only or am I mistaken?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

AmigaMan wrote:The new version appears to be Mac only or am I mistaken?
Initially it will be only for mac ( :( ), but they are planning to make a windows version later.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Ah right. Thanks for clearing that up. I don't know anyone with a Mac but I can pass the info on now knowing it will be Windows also. :D
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

AmigaMan wrote:The new version appears to be Mac only or am I mistaken?
These guys are a crack up. First they start out saying they are coming back by bad mouthing their product saying it was such a piece of crap they they decided to release it for FREE to relieve their consciences. Then they say they are going to start by developing the new version with the smallest market next to Linux. I don't think they are going to make it this round either. I hope they update and then release if for FREE again. :)
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

EDIT: I made some mistakes and misquoted below. I fixed it. I also misread Infocentral's original statement. He did put Mac in the correct market share position. I am an idiot and jumped to the wrong conclusion and overreacted. :oops:
InfoCentral wrote:Then they say they are going to start by developing the new version with the smallest market next to Linux.
Really? Mac is the "smallest market"? I must have missed that breaking news article. ;)

Mac OSX is in second place to Windows for desktop OS (well... third or fourth place if you count each version of Windows ;) ). Also Apple has been steadily increasing market share in the desktop market. If anyone is "losing" to linux it's Microsoft and Windows not mac. iOS is rock solid in the lead but is losing ground to android... but not by a lot.

Desktop OS's are getting kind of... old. Mobile and tablets are growing leaps and bounds. Apple's mobile market is much better than the desktop. The popularity of Android is also based on the increasing market for tablets and mobile.

MS has drastically reduced the price to vendors for licensing Win 8. They hope to get Win 8 on computers under $300 which would boost Win 8 adoption.

Another decision for Windows development is that win 8 just isn't doing so well. Win 8 has had a rough time. It has lousy adoption. Recently Mozilla Firefox completely dumped development for the Windows Metro interface because they only had 1000 beta testers for it compared to millions for the desktop version. MS itself is finally starting to admit that win 8 had some issues. There are rumors they may just start giving away win 8 and hope that the next version will be better. They desperately need people to get rid of XP.

I don't think it's as bad a decision to develop for Mac as you indicate. A lot of the creatives out there tend to lean towards Mac (not all, but it leans that way). Also Plastic Animation has implied that the Mac version is just the first, not the only version. They may be looking at more options for initial distribution like the app store, itunes whatever. Who knows what the exact reasons are for that decision.
Last edited by heyvern on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Hey, I never said any such thing! :D

I can fully understand why they are developing it for Mac first. I just don't know anyone with a Mac that's all and I didn't say what I'm quoted as saying above hehe :D