Photoshop

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

josefina

Photoshop

Post by josefina »

What type of adobe photoshop should an ametuer photographer buy? I want to buy photoshop for my computer, but there are so many different types of photoshop I don't know what to buy! I was planning on getting it on ebay cheap but some photoshops are a little too cheap. What are student versions and how do I know what is the best for me. Please help!
Last edited by josefina on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

It depends on what you need to do with your photos.

Photoshop Elements is very very basic. If all you need is simple color adjustments then it would work for you. If you are a "traditional" old school type of photographer looking to clean up or adjust your photos Elements is going to have what you need. But if you plan to create extensive photo montages, special effects type photo manipulations you would be better off with Photoshop CS5 which is available now (just released) it has more advanced features for photo manipulation, filters, effects etc.

Photoshop Extended I believe has some animation and 3D capabilities. But these are limited and there probably are much better tools for that type of thing.

Try out Elements. It's more affordable and may be all you need. If you need more you can update it later.

Check the features of the different versions. You should seriously consider getting the one that allows for "raw" camera format editing and the high resolution editing of photos. Not too familar with it myself doing mostly web work, but this format for photography has a huge dynamic range for extremely high quality photo work. As a photographer this would probably be very important. I am not sure which one of the Photoshop versions has this capability. I doubt that Elements has it.

You may even want to look at other options such as Gimp which is free (open source). I use Gimp right now since I can't afford Photoshop CS and it is very similar and even opens PSD files.
Imago

Post by Imago »

I can suggest you Artweaver.
It's a good "clone" of photoshop and supports .ABR brushes.
And you can find lots of free plugin 'cause it use LUA scripting.
Plus, the base version are free and the pro will cost 29,99$.

I find it more handly than the "original" photoshop.

P.S.
The 1.x version has a little ABR import bug, you can solve with this workaround:
http://forum.artweaver.de/viewtopic.php ... 1456#p4592
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Try Gimp, It's free and dose things similar to PhotoShop elements. I use both, one works better than the other according to what you are doing.

Dale
Imago

Post by Imago »

dueyftw wrote:Try Gimp, It's free and dose things similar to PhotoShop elements. I use both, one works better than the other according to what you are doing.

Dale
I think Gimp is a bit confusing...
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Yes, Gimp is WAY different from photoshop. I am slowly climbing the learning curve. However I am FORCING myself to "relearn" image editing using Gimp (at least until I can afford Photoshop for my new Mac). The issue that I've noticed is not that Gimp is "hard" but that it is "different". That makes it hard to get the hang of it.

The main drawback to Gimp is the palettes or windows. When switching applications and going back to Gimp the windows and palettes don't come to the front. I have to select the windows. There's a focus issue.

-vern
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

uhm... guys, I think josefina is a robot
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I just noticed that the original post was edited to add the links. What a bummer. I hate getting fooled. :)

-vern
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

selgin wrote:uhm... guys, I think josefina is a robot
She seemed like such a nice girl -- but her voice *was* a bit monotonous...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Bots are getting smarter?

This sucks, !@#$%^&

Dale
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Actually probably not a "bot" in the traditional sense. Yes, they are getting smarter... because the spammers now hire live people to spam forums. Easiest way to get around captchas. Just as tech support and other services are outsourced to cheap labor so now is spamming.

-vern