Sculptris

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chucky

Sculptris

Post by chucky »

http://www.sculptris.com/index.html

Free Zbrush mini-me anyone ?

The learning curve on this only lasts a few seconds, very intuitive, superb.
Tagirijus

Post by Tagirijus »

Thanks for sharing this. Interesting tool. I once found information about ZBrush; first I thought that this is this software. Actually for me it's just a bit to play with; no professional use, hehe. Nevertheless: thanks. :)
chucky

Post by chucky »

This time yesterday I had never heard of this software. Check it out!
These where my first two attempts, I didn't have to learn the software, just sit back and watch it all come together.
The hotkeys are all standard, you could do it with your eyes closed ,,almost.

This program is truly wicked.
These took no time at all , the roobot literally minutes.
And best of all it costs nothing at all.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Ive seen a tut on Youtube awhile back looked kind of hard for a me. I'm overwhelmed atm I been trying to animate with just debut up till a few days and it seems I still have lots to learn with Pro now. I keep playing with 3D stuff and not really getting anywhere because I have not learned how to use ASP yet. But once I learn more about Pro I will try at 3D again.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
chucky

Post by chucky »

Well good news, it's about as hard as making a peanut butter sandwich. 8)
Really, I'm not being clever , just smear that polygon butter into anything you like.
Organic that is, I wouldn't try and build a steam engine with it. :D
Tagirijus

Post by Tagirijus »

Maybe it's not hard to handle, but at least you must have a good graphical feeling (like you, I think... according to the pictures); your exmaples looks very great to me, btw. I am a total graphical noob. Unfortuantely I cannot even draw a good look stickfigure with a pen on paper. I am more the acoustic guy. ;)

Nevertheless: still a funny program even to a non-graphical-skilled guy like me.
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

just stumbled across Sculptris today and gotta say, its pretty freaking impressive.

its very intuitive to draw and has a really good interface and controls.

I've used blender on and off for years and find the sculpting tools have improved but the controls are painful...

Tomorrow I will be having a proper play with my tablet..cant wait,
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

We use ZB and Mudbox at work, never tried Sculptris, looks pretty good for the price! ;)

Thanks for the link.
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Next to AS, ZBrush is the most fun software I've ever played with. I bounce back forth between the two. But it's scary how quick time goes by when you start playing with it. I've sat down with my morning cup of coffee and opened the program and next thing I know, it's dinner time. SPOOKY!!
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I find ZB too complex and the interface is a nightmare I never really got used to, which is why I prefer Mudbox, which has a simpler more streamlined interface, but is not as powerfull as ZB.
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

GCharb wrote:We use ZB and Mudbox at work, never tried Sculptris, looks pretty good for the price! ;)

Thanks for the link.
scupltris has been zbrush-ified... they have made the controls the same as zbrush I guess to try and get some follow up sales.

$600 for zbrush, if I had the money i'd buy it.
scupltris = $0 (at the moment) I can afford that :D

it lets me import/export .obj files.. make sure they are triangles and it works in blender etc
In the real world, I've recently started a bit of polymer clay modeling and think this would make decent reference image quite easily..
If I get really lazy I guess I could just get a 3d printer to create my object for me ;)

never tried mudbox..no doubt pricey
--Sven
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Cheapest Mudbox is 745$ USD
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

thanks for the headsup! I will deffinately give it a play :)
ZBrush is confusing, but the thing I've played with most in it is the zsphere base mesh construction which really makes it easy to build a base mesh.

I guess with dynamic tesselation you don't need to worry too much about your sub-d level so pulling a spehre into any shape will still give you detail when you need it? Will give it a try!

I encourage people to post their fiddles in this thread :)
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

Yep the tessellation algorithm is pretty cool but I find it cleaner to lay some clay on with detail switched off, which doesn't add tri's.
Once blocked out switch it back on for detailing.

Relaxing the mesh when possible 'y' seems to help when painting.

Also I think I prefer starting with a simple head shaped mesh over the sphere.

No idea what pro workflow is. Fun tho....
--Sven
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Yeah Funk, ZB can be confusing but once you get the workflow, it's sooo cool. Zspheres are cool but for me it's all about the shadowbox feature. Talk about easy mesh creation. And just a heads up, ZB 4R2 comes out next month. It's a FREE upgrade for anyone who already owns ANY version of ZBRUSH. THAT'S how it should be. SMITH MICRO are you listening? Anyways, here's a sneak peek that they have up on their forum. They're touting new features and better renders.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=152654