Synfig 0.62.01 Released!

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Genete

Synfig 0.62.01 Released!

Post by Genete »

Read the release announcement here:
http://synfig.org/en/news/releases/89-release-06201
Windows and linux versions (binaries) are provided. Please check it out and enjoy!
One important final comment: Synfig Team is doing a huge effort to update and reformat the Documentation. The encouragement and enthusiasm of the team is higher than never.
Help us to keep it running by creating good animations with Synfig and spreading them all around the world!.

Thanks
-G
DK

Post by DK »

Congratulations Genete!!! Great work! Great program!

D.K
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Just did the walkcycle tutorial, works surprisingly well, does great in-betweening I must admit.

I find it a little cumbersome and cloged, but I have not spent alot of time with it.

G
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Just saw that I am using the multi threaded version of synfig, uses 70% of my 4 cores, not bad!

G
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I just downloaded it and will be looking at tutorials.....
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
patricia3d

Post by patricia3d »

Thanks for the inforamtion Genete.
I have downloaded? and I will try. Can you just give the link of some nice animation created with Synfig.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwSZZivjQMo

You can get the working files on the download page

G
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Synfig sounds like a nice program. I ran across it years ago.

But when you launch a program and one of it's windows are larger then your screen. And you can't resize it even though your resolution is 1600x900. It prevents me from using it. I'm talking about the window to the right. I can't even see what icons are on the bottom.

Windows like this should be calculated to the users desktop resolution and resized properly. I remember having to adjust Moho's windows every time I launched it. I'm so glad it's a single window now.

One thing I remember about Synfig though, is that it had nice anti-alias renders.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I agree with Mister Baker here, the 5 parts interface is a bit backward compared to AS 6.

The render really looks good, fast too, just rendered one the prologue file at full HD at several frames a minute.

It does not seem to have multiplane or 3d setup, which is a drag, so no stereo render either, which is even worst.

The drawing tools seem okay though, and in-between interpolation is nice, made a good walk cycle with only 4 poses.

G
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

BTW, Mister Baker, you need a larger monitor! ;)

Heheh.

G
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

GCharb wrote:BTW, Mister Baker, you need a larger monitor! ;)

Heheh.

G
LOL! Well, I do have a full hd tv in the living room. But I don't think the wife would care for that. ;)
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

J.Baker wrote:LOL! Well, I do have a full hd tv in the living room. But I don't think the wife would care for that.
LOL

As for Synfig, I watched the video tutorials, rendered the samples, it looks real nice, only problem is that it does not seem to work on my system. I tried the basic drawing tools and nothing, created basic, premade layer object no problems, but cannot edit them in any way.

Maybe it is alergic to Windows 7, no idea really.

Spent enough on it for today, will have another look in the morning, might be the old brain having a ceasure at the end of the day! :)

G
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Ok, I had the multi threaded version installed, I ve uninstalled it then installed the latest stable version, works like a charm now.

This is one of the files that comes with it, aint bad at all!

http://www.thewingsofpower.com/temp/synfig_eye_h264.mov

G
Genete

Post by Genete »

Wow guys!
I didn't expect that reception for the new version! I'm so glad you are looking at this program.

I can point out some of the new features and enchancements we have included in the last release:

1) Single threaded renderer for Microsoft Windows version. It increases program stability a lot. On the other hand it is a bit slow in live render during gui edition. When final render it is not affected.
2) The GUI still using a multiwindow system but we have fixed the save & load the windows position.
3) It is possible to select the video codec and bitrate to render the animation with ffmpeg libraries.
4) The normal tool (the one that is a blue circle with a black arrow on it) has been called Transform tool. Now it can rotate, scale and translate selected ducks. Press CTRL to rotate, ALT to scale and SHIFT to constrain rotate, scale or translate.

We need all the possible support from windows users showing us the fact of success or faliure. We need to setup a good windows debugging environment what's not easy without the limited developers we have with windows as native OS.

Please, ANY question you have let me know. I'll be glad to explain the program usage.

For people not used with the program nomenclature, there are some hints:
1) Duck: we call duck to the dots on the canvas that are used to modify the layers properties (duck of the radius of a circle, duck of the origin of the layer, duck of the tangent of the bline point...)
2) What is called "keyframe" in AS we call it waypoint. We call keyframe to the "pose". See http://www.synfig.org/wiki/Keyframe
3) There is not "frame 0" in Synfig Studio. Instead of that there are two status: animation mode or not animation mode. When you are in not animation mode you're modifying the artwork for the entire timeline. When you're in animation mode you create waypoints in the timeline. Not need to rewind to frame 0 to modify the steady artwork. It is not possible to modify in not animation mode a parameter that already has waypoints, you must switch to animation mode. Ah! the animation mode switch button is on the bottom right of the canvas window. ;)

Good animating!

-G