Wings 3D

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lwaxana

Wings 3D

Post by lwaxana »

I'm having some problems importing objs from Wings 3D. They are coming in white with black outlines. I searched the forums and found that this is a common problem. But I can't find the cause. I have the mtl and obj in the same directory, but I have copied them over from a different computer. Is this my problem? I also thought it might be that I'm not assigning materials correctly. Does "vertex color" color the obj or is that just a display setting within wings 3d? I tried designating materials, but they still came in white. Any ideas? Thanks!
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Your mtl file should link to a image file. Did you create a texture for your 3D model?
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Thanks for your help, J.Baker! :D That was exactly my problem. Linking to an image file, it's now working. :D Huge thanks! :D
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

No problem, I'm glad it's working! ;)
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

Is there a specific set of steps to get the .mtl file in wings or you have to do the BAKE process in another program. How is it linked to the object file?
"and then Man created god!"
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I think you always have a .mtl, but it will be the default with no image (won't show any color in Anime Studio) unless you create your own materials. Right click with no part of the model selected and the contextual menu will allow you to add a material.

For a basic color without UV mapping, I just had to import an image (a small bmp of the color I wanted) And then it appeared in the outliner window. Then I dragged the image up to the material I had created earlier. That prompts you to select a texture option, but I could only get the image to show using "bump normal." After that when you edit your material, you can see that it's linked to the image file. Or if you open the mtl in notepad, you can see the link. You can also edit it there, if you know what you want to change it to.

I haven't done any UV mapping. My understanding is that in the past you needed another program, but now there's a beta version of Wings that has integrated UV mapping?

But I'm a total noobie to Wings. The manual has some info on Outliner and UV Mapping in section 6, but it's not all that comprehensive: http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http% ... 3Fdownload
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

oh, I forgot to mention that you have to assign your new material to surfaces of your model.
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

Thanks for your reply, I will be trying your suggestion. :D
"and then Man created god!"
munmunbelly

Post by munmunbelly »

In any event, Wings 3D is very easy to use and UV Mapper is probably the easiest thing I have ever seen. Worth a look. The only downside is that you can not do animations, although I only use mine to open models.
rockerjell

Post by rockerjell »

Something in Tools | Virtual Mirror. You can lob the model side, then front and then get a mirror image.