Cakewalk Music Creator

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lwaxana

Cakewalk Music Creator

Post by lwaxana »

Hi, I noticed that there are some "Music Creator" users in this forum. And I wondered if I could get your opinions on this program. Is it easy to enter in the music notes? All the information I have found about the program skips over how to actually enter in your own music (other than to say you can do it "manually"). I have a physical keyboard that claims it can be used for midis, but I also have no talent or sense of rhythm. So I thought I would get better results from entering in the notes if I can specify halfnote, quarternote, etc. without needing to play them. Am I on the right track? Thanks for your thoughts. :D
swrecordings

Post by swrecordings »

music creator is a great program and if you have a midi keyboard that would make it even better. i have version 4, and version 5 just came out. i really enjoy the program. i would recommend it. and if you have the money i would also get studio instruments, it works great as a soft synth
DK

Post by DK »

I've tried quite a few different music creation apps. For an easy out of the box, no talent needed solution try Smartsound, Sonic Fire but it costs as you have to buy CD libraries but it is brilliant and quick. Next up would be Band in a Box now with real drums and real instruments and a bit harder to use but provides you with hundreds of pre made styles to assemble music. Third on my list is Fruity Loops harder again to use but has some great feaures and great sound samples. Fourth and cheapest is to just play all the instruments your self and overlay them in a sound app like Audacity.

Cheers
D.K
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Thanks for the info, swrecordings! It's incredibly helpful to me. I went for it. :D

----

DK--Doh! I didn't see your post until after I had already ordered music creator. Thank you for the info, though. If I ever upgrade, I'll look into the programs you mentioned.

Thanks so much, guys! :D
swrecordings

Post by swrecordings »

if you ever need any help with it, i will see what i can do
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I been using fruity Loops Producers version for most of the music in my animations but I wouldn't suggest this for the novice, the program is quite difficult. The interface on it can overwhelm the user.

As Dk stated, "Smartsound" would be best if you have no musical background. But seeing you have already ordered "music creator" let me know how it works out, I've never heard of it.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I was a little nervous that this wasn't going to work, but I got the keyboard set up to record midis using the software. :D I'll need to work with the program more before I can report back with a review. Thanks, everyone!
swrecordings

Post by swrecordings »

there is also a music creator forum from cakewalk, thats very helpful if you need any help
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Thanks swrecordings! :D Did you ever get the 'synth rack' working? Is that different from soft synth? I found a way to use soft synth without the midi keyboard...
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I reckon in most music programs you can enter the midi notes manually by clicking them into the piano roll and then resizing the length of them for notes, half notes, quarter notes, etc... at least that's been my experience. I tried using a midi keyboard to score some of my animation and its great if I wanted loose stuff, which I don't, so for tighter control I'm entering the notes manually with my laptop's trackpad.
swrecordings

Post by swrecordings »

i kinda got the synth rack working (and that is soft synths) i am still playing with it trying to figure it out. maybe i will read the manual again...
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Mikdog--yeah, that's what I was trying to figure out in this program because I don't have the talent to play in time. ;) I would have to go back and edit so much that it makes no sense to use the midi keyboard in the first place. But I have it figured out now. Yahoo! :D

Swrecordings--The manual was not much help for me. But we're using different versions and the manuals are also pretty different between versions. But this is how I'm able to do it:

1. right click on instrument window to "insert from track template" > "instruments" > (pick one. i found a whole bunch of instruments I didn't know I had here!)

2. go to piano roll view.

3. use the PRV draw tool (next to the arrow) to insert notes.
(the new notes will be the length of the highlighted music note symbol.)

4. you can adjust tempo etc in the drop down menus.
XFracture

Post by XFracture »

Jamstudio 4tw?
Austrailian_dogs

Post by Austrailian_dogs »

Changing the shape would not be beyond possible at all, using the meshinstance script, then you would be free as a bird.
You could also use bones to change shape.
Sequential Austrailian Dead Dog
swrecordings

Post by swrecordings »

i just found something cool, if you look at the fx options for an audio track there is a tuner so you can pick out a melody if you don't have the music. i think its quite cool