Mirage

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cribble

Mirage

Post by cribble »

Bauhaus Software has made an application for hardocre 2D animators. Now i haven't tried this out yet but it looks pretty sweet.... though, the pricing is a little steep, it looks like you get alot of features packed into one package.

http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/

check it out.
--Scott
cribble.net
godlike27

Post by godlike27 »

At first it didn't look as animation software to me at all, Mirage's manual, that comes with the programme, gives just really simple example using light box, there are mainly video editing features explained, which are great, but not the manual animator would want, then I downloaded some tutorials from bauhauss website which were great help.
Does anyone of you use Celaction software http://www.celaction.com/ , it's hardly believable for it's price over 4000, but just interesting, Phil Mulloy uses that.
And Mirage is a god compared to Digicel FlipBook rotoscoping (FlipBook is ofcourse better animation software than lets say Firkafilm animation V2.2 which was the first computer animation soft I used).
I suggest at least try Mirage, as its price nearly 700, it works for me.
Last edited by godlike27 on Sat May 19, 2007 11:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

I think Mirage and Dogwaffle are the closest in features to DPaint and Brilliance on the Amiga system.
"and then Man created god!"
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

I watched a tutorial and the term "animbrush" took me back to the Amiga days...

reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
cribble

Post by cribble »

nobudget wrote:I watched a tutorial and the term "animbrush" took me back to the Amiga days...

reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
My thoughts exactly. :lol:
--Scott
cribble.net
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

I downloaded the demo and I was trying to draw in it. I couldn't get a solid line, just a bunch of dots! I tried all of the adjustments on the pen tool, but nothing changed my drawing to a line.

Oh well.
________
LOS ANGELES DISPENSARY
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

I have aura. Which is essentially Mirage. Never was that impressed with its "animation" abilities. Worked great for FX and video editing though.

Brian
Sometimes in order to accomplish something you need to not sleep.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

You have aura? Well, I always suspected...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

I love the results I've seen people get with Mirage, but it has two killer flaws for me:

No camera, 3D or otherwise (like Moho, Toonboom and AfterEffects)

No ability to rotate the drawing area when you're tracing over a rough in order to draw clean lines (the way you can do with Moho, Toonboom and Painter).

I think I'm going to have to go with ToonBoom for my traditional cel animation needs, for all its flaws.
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

I have Mirage and love it. It is now my roughing out tool of choice. The prushes are the fastest thing going! (I haven't even opened Painter in Months!)
I and many others agree about the rotating work space. All is not lost though as they are working on it.
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

I'll have to fire up the demo one of these days and try it out. If they added the two features I mentioned, I would buy it and never look back.

Then again, if Moho ever spun off a cel animation program I wouldn't bother with Mirage, probably.

There is a program for making rough pencil test animation called plasticanimationpaper that I would love to try as soon as they come out with a Mac version.
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

That doesn't have a rotating lightbox either.... but they are working on it.
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

Squeakydave wrote:That doesn't have a rotating lightbox either.... but they are working on it.
Yes, I wrote them about it.

I just installed the Mirage demo and it crashes every time I try to open it. However, their tech support got back to me right away.

I have to say, the more I look at these other programs, the more amazed I am at how close Moho is to having the ideal feature set for me.
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

Well, after trying everything I wasn't able to get Mirage to work on my system and their tech support was unable to help me. Good thing I downloaded the demo before shelling out money for this program.

I guess I'll have to do without.