Easy 3d programs?

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jorgy

Post by jorgy »

human wrote:I plan to generate dummy movies from 3D and use the keyframes as references for 2D animation. I'll have 2D models that contain the desired textures, color, lighting, created with Illustrator.
So to paraphrase, you are basically rotoscoping a 3d movie into 2d a frame a time.

Thanks for your reply,

jorgy
human

Post by human »

jorgy wrote:So to paraphrase, you are basically rotoscoping a 3d movie into 2d a frame a time.
Well, this is not nearly as much work as one frame at a time. A correct paraphrase would refer instead to the keyframes.

First, I will use morph software to map from static 2d models to key stills from the 3D movie.

(I believe that morphing a single still image into another single still is technically called a "warp," because it's a valuable distinction to make...)

Understand that once I have the 2D keyframes the way I want them, then I program my robot assistant -- the morpher -- to tween all my dirtywork for me, while I go have a Coke Zero. So I build each segment of my content, accumulating it from keyframe to keyframe, that way.

One must take for granted that these compositions will involve separate foreground and background objects. I may do the layer compositing in Anime Studio, in GIF Movie Gear, or perhaps even in the Firefox browser.

I guess the last point I would want to clarify about my strategy is that until I can work productively in AS... and I have no idea when that will be... the workflow I've described yields a bitmapped movie at some fixed screen resolution -- almost certainly 1920 x 1080.

But what if I want to display this short movie at cinema resolution (4096 x 2160) in the future?

If I carefully archive all my foreground and background assets, then I could potentially return and re-vectorize each character and background frame in Illustrator (or even The GIMP!!).

Vectors imply infinite resolution...