Toon Boom Animate Pro

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GCharb

Post by GCharb »

AmigaMan wrote:I stuck my anaglyph specs on and had a look. Works pretty well. Shame about the rendering times though.
Yeah, it is pretty decent, I rendered it to seperate right and left image sequence then watched it in 3d movie player with my nvidia 3d glasses and damn, looks as good as in the 3d theater.

But AS isnt bad either, rendered the A1 file from AS 5.x version, looks pretty good to.

Here is the A1 on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufBandE2WeE

Only wish AS Pro could render to seperate image sequences as well.

G
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello again!

Made more stereo renders in AS Pro.

a1_XVID.avi 9.2 mb
This one took 1 hours to render the 240 frames in AS Pro 6.2

Lair_XVID.avi 3.2 mb
This one took 2 hours to render the 72 frames in AS Pro 6.2

ToonboomAnaglyph_XVID.avi 12.5 mb
This one took 2 hours to render the 200 frames in the PLE of Animate Pro 2

Funny thing is that Animate 2 is suposed to be multi threaded, but the PLE rendered on one thread only, maybe a limitation of the PLE.

Still, Anime 2 speed is not that bad after all and it does render nicely!

G
crsP

Post by crsP »

Hy folks, can any of you who have used Animate 2 elaborate on the tweening capabilities if you have any experience with it? I can't find demonstrations of this function, as most people seem to just use the frame by frame abilities [which are quite good]. I read somewhere that Toonboom bought out Animo, and I know that was quite capable at tweening. But it's suspicious to me that this feature is not being advertised with much enthusiasm [the Toonboom preview video briefly showed something that could be tweening, but how it operates is a mystery, to me at least].
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

It can tween layer position pretty well and you can adjust the velocity, but if you're talking about tweening between a drawing and another drawing, I did a tutorial once in Animate 1 that was pretty finicky and seemed like a mission. I got a better result drawing the inbetween manually. I'd also like to know of anyone who's tried the method of tweening between drawings.
crsP

Post by crsP »

Thanks Mikdog. Yeah, I am more interest in the, what I think is commonly called, shape tweening as that one is the least documented. I had assumed Animate 2 would have improvements in that area. Would be great if anyone knew of a link to a video demonstrating it's use.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Shape tweening is ok, you setup hints, then it follows along. I was not impressed as Milkdog said, with the overall usefulness of the process.

G
Last edited by GCharb on Thu May 20, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
utupe

Post by utupe »

toon boom animation is a waste of time :lol:
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

utupe wrote:toon boom animation is a waste of time
LOL, the fact that you cant even tell it's name properly says how much you know about the software ;)

Toonboom has strong points, like better color registration, better 3d workspace, somewhat better drawing tools, frame by frame animation and few other goodies. But it lacks some of the tools that make AS Pro so unique, like blend morph, point animation etc.

A mix of both apps would totaly rock!

In my humble opinion.

G
utupe

Post by utupe »

ok, you win!

-----------------------------------------
I am posting from PTCL Pakistan
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Did not know it was a contest :)

You are more then entitled to your opinions.

No offense intended!

Was just pointing out what I think is pretty good about Animate Pro 2, this said, AS Pro is da king! :)

G
crsP

Post by crsP »

Would be useful to have an actual opinion first however. When I read his\her post, I thought maybe Animate was a 'waste of time' because of stability issues or tools not working as described. Oh well.

As is better at digital cut-out. I have Toonboom express and even that is better at frame by frame than Anime Studio. oOo controversial!
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Anime is not a frame by frame animation software period, you can do very basic frame by frame with it, that is as a traditional frame by frame.

As a cut-out animation software, AS allows you to do point animation, which really is the ability to animate point by point on top of a cut-out setup, allowing nice secondary motion, for one.

Frame by frame is tedious, AS, especially AS Pro, makes the animation process tons easier, in my opinion.

G
crsP

Post by crsP »

A valid point, depending on your point of view. I find the process to be part of the enjoyment, and also no matter how much you try to fake it, you cannot get a close enough look to frame by frame with only one drawing.

As I remember it, in the Moho manual it was explicitly stated that frame by frame was not the strong point of the software and you are better off using other software for that. But now it's Anime Studio, that part has been removed so users now have an expectation that it should be able to do this and do it well - hence the many requests for better frame by frame capabilities.

I agree though that a combination of the two systems would be the best. It's probably a matter of time before toonboom, tvPaint or Anime Studio [or some other] combines the two and the rest will have to play catch-up. But which will be the first to pull the trigger? Something like TvPaint with the capabilities of a [functioning] Tweenmaker would rock my world.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I've said it before - if AS had the OPTION of drawing tools similar to TB Animate I may not require two separate software packages.

THAT WOULD BE AAAWWWEEESSSOOOMMMEEE.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

crsP wrote:you cannot get a close enough look to frame by frame with only one drawing
With switch layers, blend morph and few other goodies you can get close to hand drawn, look at greykid stuff for one, but still, not a hand drawn package.

Milkdog, yeah, that would be awsome, let see what's coming in the next release, might be a few good surprises there! :)

G