Help Finding Camera Capturing Software?

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cribble

Help Finding Camera Capturing Software?

Post by cribble »

I need a software that can capture multiple video sources at once?

I'm doing a music project in the summer and I want to film it using USB cameras (Webcams mainly), but i can't find any software that can capture all the cameras at once. Does anyone know any software that can do this?

--Scott
cribble.net
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Don't know of any but what comes in mind is some kind of surveillance software. I'll bet you find something useful if you look into that.
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Stop Motion Pro for the PC
www.stopmotionpro.com

Pricey but works very well.

Frame Thief for the Mac
www.framethief.com

Affordable, and works very, very well.

Plastic Animation Paper
http://plasticanimationpaper.dk/

Good if you want to draw inside the computer with a tablet.
________
SHIP SALE
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

well i do visual jockeying on the side, and this sort of thing I do alot of (getting multiple video sources)

im sure you could find some free VJ software out there that will let you record the streams.
jeff

Post by jeff »

I've no firsthand experience of it, but I have read about Newtek's Tricaster system which can handle 3 cameras. It will set you back about $5k !

Jeff
cribble

Post by cribble »

jeff wrote:I've no firsthand experience of it, but I have read about Newtek's Tricaster system which can handle 3 cameras. It will set you back about $5k !

Jeff
Don't like the sound of that.

Thanks kdiddy but i'm looking for a software that capture motion, not single frames. Sorry if there was any confusion.

The hunt goes on....
--Scott
cribble.net
LittleFenris

Post by LittleFenris »

Maybe you could borrow a few peoples PCs for your project and use multiple USB webcams like you have all at the same time. Thats the only thing I can think of that is a cost effective method. I mean borrowing is free, so the only cost is the extra webcams you would need. Only problem is finding PCs to borrow. Just figured I'd throw out the suggestion.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Is using Linux an option for you?
cribble

Post by cribble »

LittleFenris wrote:Maybe you could borrow a few peoples PCs for your project and use multiple USB webcams like you have all at the same time. Thats the only thing I can think of that is a cost effective method. I mean borrowing is free, so the only cost is the extra webcams you would need. Only problem is finding PCs to borrow. Just figured I'd throw out the suggestion.
Yeah i'm considering this right now. it seems like the best bet at the moment.
jorgy wrote:Is using Linux an option for you?
Sorry, no can do at the moment, its the cost of getting hold linux and all the hassle of uninstalling everything and reinstalling it again after using it (my hard drive isn't partitioned). Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
--Scott
cribble.net
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

cribble wrote:Sorry, no can do at the moment, its the cost of getting hold linux and all the hassle of uninstalling everything and reinstalling it again after using it (my hard drive isn't partitioned). Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Yeah, it's non-trivial to get going at first. But sometimes it's handy to throw on an old computer that's too slow to run a newer windows version. It seems to be much happier with fewer resources.