Software Lunchbox

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mason

Software Lunchbox

Post by mason »

I'm looking for software that basically mimics a lunchbox. I've found some nice programs that will use a web cam to snap frames from real drawings (exactly like a lunchbox), but I'd like something completely software based as my apartment is small and I don't have room to draw how I'd like or make such a set up feasible.

The software I have in mind is basically an image editor that will export video, have onion skinning and a way to indicate how many frames to hold the drawing.

I'm not sure that's clear enough so let me describe my problem and the not-so-good way I solved it. I animated a bird flying but, in this case, using bones wasn't as good a solution as actually drawing the frames out. I tried sketching in Moho, but drawing vectors is much slower than pixels and in any case it's not a good way to sketch because they're no variable opacity and width. So, I render my bird's base in Moho, loaded it into the GIMP and created layers on top of it and sketched out it's wings. I changed the layer opacities to mimic onion-skinning (or flipping the pages in drawn animation) but for each added frame I had to go back and change all the previous frame's layer opacity. I also ended up with a lot of layers and no ability to scrub the animation.

Now, if Moho were to implement something like this, this is how I would describe it: bitmap drawing layers with onionskinning that work like a switch layer (but automatically keyed a specified number of frames).

Does anyone know of any software like this?
The400th

Post by The400th »

Do a search on Google for linetest software. Also Plastic Animation Paper will do the trick.
mason

Post by mason »

I think Plastic Animation Paper is EXACTLY what I need (it even has a Linux version). Thank you so much.