Animata

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

gyula

Animata

Post by gyula »

Just FYI: Theres a free app called Animata, using bone-systems similar to AS. Interesting to play around with it during the holidays.

http://www.kitchenbudapest.hu/en/node/244
Last edited by gyula on Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Wow that looks really interesting. From what I gather so far it appears to be a kind of AS Flash hybrid. It has bones much as we are use to in AS, but then has a run-time engine.

The coolest thing I've seen so far is how it lets you 'draw' the controlling mesh over an image. So basically you can region and point bind the mesh that controls the image warping. Like a structured bone envelope.

Haven't tried it out yet though.
chucky

Post by chucky »

This is awesome.
I do remember posting some months back a suggestion for using AS with motion capture data , I was shot down in flames :lol:
"why would you want to do that?"
I no purist, so I don't see why turning motion data into eye and brain pleasing imagery is in any way obsolete.
I'm just looking at Animata now,but, in the mean time-.... Does anyone know about BVH could script translate bvh into bone rotate/scale/translate data for AS?
hell, with some wii numchucks who knows what is possible, especially with this kind of stuff coming any day for the masses http://www.audioholics.com/news/industr ... ure-gaming ?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I remember that mo-cap thread, Chucky. I've put some thought into it, and just checked out the BVH format. No idea how that could possibly be interpreted to AS.

I'm hoping that LM's working for Adobe was what kept him from adding even simple raster tools like an actual color picker for images. (conflict of interest) If AS could someday recognize image layer colors, then there may be the possibility of using that to track points or bones by script(as long as scripting access is also added).

As far as Animata goes, it seems like more of an 'in development' toy than an actual animation tool at the moment.

LM should take a look at its 'structured bone envelope for images though'.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Animata definitely has something there, the triangulation of the bone structure is very useful.
I have often had to resort to Vern's (excellent) aimbone script when triangulation would
have been actually a neater option.
I wonder if LM has seen animata.