How to convert AVI to FLV ?

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Agent

How to convert AVI to FLV ?

Post by Agent »

Hi!

Is there any program that could convert my avi files to flv?
Never send a human to do a machine's job.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Sorenson Squeeze is the best conversion tool that I know of, exellent with flv and quicktime.
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Or here's a free encoder you can try:

http://www.rivavx.de/index.php?encoder&L=3
Agent

Post by Agent »

thank you all

anyway i choose the last one, its free and simple. great :)
Never send a human to do a machine's job.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Check out the very excellent free Miro Video Converter as it will create Theora and WebM (vp8) videos which are now the default standard for HTML 5 - for many good reasons, Flash and mpeg are being depreciated from the web.

It also outputs a very wide range of films formats ready-to-play on Android, iPhones, etc. You can also strip audio out of FLV and other formats into mp3 ... alelgedly a great way to get ambient tracks from Youtube clips :-)

more here
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Rhoel wrote:...for many good reasons, Flash and mpeg are being depreciated from the web.
Could you explain why Flash "being depreciated" is a good reason? Just interested in why that would be...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

jahnocli wrote:Could you explain why Flash "being depreciated" is a good reason? Just interested in why that would be...
Well, for one thing, it's not good for a single company to own the standard format (i.e. Adobe).

And I think the term is "deprecate" but don't quote me on that.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Both deprecated and depreciated can apply here.

By depreciated he means that mpg and Flash are not the favored mediums for the Web, that they are being replaced by content creators by other formats.

As far as html5, I do like it, but it is not the favored means of developing for the Web, at least not yet, plain old html still is the champion for now and it will remain so as long as MS will not comply with the standards, as if they will ever do! :)
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

JaMike wrote:Well, for one thing, it's not good for a single company to own the standard format (i.e. Adobe).
Er...I thought the .swf format was open?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

It is open, several open source compiler exist, also allows SM to make its own compiler for AS I guess!
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

One of the key reasons for Flash being dropped was its security record: Check Symantec's web site or wikipedia for details of the remote vector attacks - it became a serious security problem, to such an extent new software plug-ins were issued to disable scripting from Flash.

In HTML 5, the new <video> and <audio> parameters handle video much more efficiently, especially on smart-phones. iPads and Android.

Mpeg got killed over its licensing: The consortium who handle the rights elected to call in the charges, a move that reportedly incensed Google so much they removed all support for it in Chrome. WebM (the Theora, OGG and vobris family of codex) is totally license free, hence its adoption for the web. I have tested the Miro converter and build HTML5 pages with it and I'm very pleased with the results.

Rhoel