Cartoon editor!!

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cribble

Cartoon editor!!

Post by cribble »

I found this bit of software today. I haven't given it a wizz yet but it seems pretty good by the looks of things. Think of it as a cut down version of MoHo really...and its a really cut down version. Though i still think you should check it out, its mainly Mac based, but if you've downloaded Java and installed it (bla bla bla) it can run on windows also (as the software is made in java2D or something like that). But i thought i'd tell, as it seem like an interesting development.

http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~jeremy- ... ditor.html
--Scott
cribble.net
Yooperville

Update + News ...

Post by Yooperville »

This is a cool little app, and it just got a new name and its first update in quite awhile. Check it out at:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7994

The author also sez he's working on a commercial version:
The new program will have timeline based animation, multiple soundtracks, work with multiple-subjects, and lots of other cool features. It should be ready by fall of 2005
FYI -- Greg.
cribble

Post by cribble »

Has it gone totally mac based now?
--Scott
cribble.net
Yooperville

Mac-only?

Post by Yooperville »

Cribble,

Not sure, just have a Mac right now. My experience with it mostly from a year or so ago when I didn't have access to anything else for a couple months. New version doesn't look look substantially different though ... so my guess is it would still work elsewhere if it did before. Will be interesting to see the commercial version and what platforms will be supported if it's not a Java app.

Sidenote: Just noticed yesterday, checking out update, that you can click+drag from the color picker to main window to choose colors. Doh!

Moho note: As much as I love the crazy Moho, it's hard not to appreciate how simple and effective Curly's drawing tools are. Can't help but think how unstoppably great Moho would be across the board with some changes in this area.

(Raises a premature glass to Moho 6, thereby giving LM 16 more gray hairs)

Cheers -- Greg.
The400th

Post by The400th »

It's interesting that it's Java based so it's cross-platform. How is Moho written so that there are multiple versions so quickly? Is there a library that makes it easier, or is it all home-grown?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Moho is written in C++ and uses a home-grown cross-platform user interface library, but there are other libraries (both free and paid-for) out there to do cross-platform development.
The400th

Post by The400th »

Thanks for the reply, LM. Did you ever think about marketing your library? It would be better than Java and you're covering all the main platforms.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

We've had some requests, but the library isn't really complete. It does what Moho needs, but there are a lot of things missing that most UI libraries would have. So, it's probably not a good fit for a general-purpose user interface library.
RASH

Post by RASH »

I'm not in the habbit of reviving old threads, but this thread needs it IMHO.

I have written a couple of weeks ago with Jeremy Wood about Cartoon Editor. It is the name of his new pet project and it will not be freeware. However, the old version of Cartoon Editor can still be downloaded, here.

It is now called Curly. The zip archive is meant for Windows users and the dmg archive for Macintosh users.

Have fun!
cribble

Post by cribble »

RASH wrote: It is now called Curly. The zip archive is meant for Windows users and the dmg archive for Macintosh users.
Thanks, was a tad confused seeing that it was posted on a Mac site.
--Scott
cribble.net
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

interesting topic is curly.
i gave it a try but it didnt work on my machine either...

i love it when LM posts :D