Blender New Innovative 2d Animation "GP Tools"

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dkwroot

Re: Blender New Innovative 2d Animation "GP Tools"

Post by dkwroot »

When Blender 2.8 is released, I'm planning to create an exporter and importer script for a MOHO to Blender workflow. Basically, we could design and rig everything in MOHO, then export a JSON file which can be imported into Blender. The vector data will then be translated into Grease pencil points and fills which will be appropriately bound to a skeleton.

I'm not sure how or if I'll get smartbone actions to work. We'll just have to see how things go.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Good luck, DKWRoot! Like your other Moho tools, I"m sure it will be great and super useful!
chucky

Post by chucky »

Wow ! Very cool DKRoot
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

I just saw that GP is release in Blender 2.79b and you can now play with that feature, and I suspect will be fully release in Blender 2.8
https://www.blender.org/download/releases/2-79/

Grease Paint is listed in the new feature! We may have to get a new section for those that want to use both 3D and 2D together!
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Just installed that new version. Opened. Grabbed 1 palette corner and...

INSTANT GUI FUCKUP!

Seriously. Grab marked corner to resize: that's the rule. Not Grab the corner To Fall Into Window Inception Forever. Can't even close this clusterfuck of a palette GUI nightmare.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
chucky

Post by chucky »

I share your rage Slowtiger.
Blender is like the 'upside down' for digital artists.
Trying to use it is like trying to eat a turkey with your ass.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Well, at least that turkey thing can be done with a bit of training ... or so I was told.

Tonight I'll get visited by my assigned Blender teacher. I'll forward her opinon on this to you.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

slowtiger wrote:Just installed that new version. Opened. Grabbed 1 palette corner and...

INSTANT GUI FUCKUP!

Seriously. Grab marked corner to resize: that's the rule. Not Grab the corner To Fall Into Window Inception Forever. Can't even close this clusterfuck of a palette GUI nightmare.
In GUI design the right bottom marked corner is generally used for resize a window. In Blender these corners are positioned at the top right and bottom left instead, indicating a different usage.

The docked panel approach is different from most applications, but very easy to use to set up the panels in Blender. Dragging a marked corner will divide that panel. To collapse, drag a marked corner in the direction of an existing panel, and an arrow will indicate which panel will replace that panel.

So the rule is: drag into the same panel area to create a new panel. Drag into another panel area to collapse/merge the two (and use that drag action to decide which panel contents is kept).

To resize a panel grab the edge between panels. If you prefer separate windows for things, and/or work on multiple screens, go to View-->Duplicate Area into New Window.

You can't keep performing the same action and hope for a different outcome. When in doubt, check the manual.

I agree Blender 2.49 and the first versions of 2.5 were pretty awkward in use, but nowadays the GUI is very usable, and actually one of the most customizable GUIs in existence. Otherwise thousands of digital artists wouldn't be creating beautiful 3d art with Blender. If you want to talk terrible GUIs: Zbrush is a train wreck, and look at the work done with that.

The one thing missing is the option to hide and show tools depending on the workspace used, though. 2.8 will be taking the next step in GUI design, and make it much more beginner friendly.
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

New update for the 2d animation tools in Blender:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQGlrXnUDVQ[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQGlrXnUDVQ

Rim lighting shader effects, and the GUI is being overhauled.

Learn more about recent developments here:
https://code.blender.org/2018/07/grease ... us-update/
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

I still think they have a long ways to go but they are steadily going into a new frontier.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

I made this with Blender. I'm still experimenting with what's possible in 2.79, but I think 2.8 is going to be a game changer.

The background is a 3d model with freestyle lines.

Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Sweet!

Wish I had time to learn Blender and play with it myself. Sigh! :)
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

So far the drawing tools are nice, but there is room for a ton of improvement. For example, the draw straight lines feature is permanently mapped to alt+right click and ctrl+right click with no way to unbind them. Also, the eraser is permanently mapped to right click, which is extremely annoying as I use right click to pan my view like in Moho. I'm hoping that in 2.8 they'll get rid of all these permanent bindings and let us customize everything.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

dkwroot wrote:I made this with Blender. I'm still experimenting with what's possible in 2.79, but I think 2.8 is going to be a game changer.

Came out very nice! Is the background pre-rendered?
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

InfoCentral wrote:
dkwroot wrote:I made this with Blender. I'm still experimenting with what's possible in 2.79, but I think 2.8 is going to be a game changer.

Came out very nice! Is the background pre-rendered?
No, I only 3d models, textures and grease pencil.