Nina Paley, "Sita Sings the Blues."

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

MarkBorok

Nina Paley, "Sita Sings the Blues."

Post by MarkBorok »

This is great. Cut-out animation, probably done with Flash.

http://clusterfunction.com/video/ninapa ... eWeAre.mov

ninapaley.com has more.
Sequent

Post by Sequent »

I think it IS Flash indeed. FPS mag did a story on her in the Nov 2005 issue. Not a super in-depth story, but it was interesting nonetheless.
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Come on! That was done in Moho! The way the scenes panned was a dead giveaway.
jeff

Post by jeff »

From her owb website FAQ:

What software do you use?
Flash and Final Cut Pro.
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Omg! If she really did it that way, I feel for her. This is a perfect example of why animators need Moho. She could've saved so much time. If someone shows her the program I bet we'd have a new convert.
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Then again she might want to do this the hard way. I just read on her site that this series is a 3-year project to find closure over her former husband. Otherwise she would especially benefit from Moho. The cut-out animations were so well done that she really had me fooled into thinking those were Moho bones.
Sequent

Post by Sequent »

I agree, definitely Moho might be a better option for her. Unfortunately, I'm sure she's WAY too far in the production cycle to shift gears now.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

There's an interesting interview with Nina at http://www.studiodaily.com/filmandvideo ... /9520.html, especially interesting because she describes her way of "cutting corners" in many details. Food for thought for some of our "cheating" fans here ...

When I met Nina I asked her about Moho, and she said that she actually gave it a try, but decided to work in Flash because she was too far into that direction already. Given the amount of how she relied on loops and the use of symbols, Moho couldn't have helped her much.
human

Post by human »

Thanks for sharing this.

This is my idea of animation as real art

I buy almost zero DVDs

... but I would buy seven copies of this one and build a little Hindu shrine to it

:o
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

She actually lives here in NYC, and is a member of ASIFA-EAST a local NY animation society so maybe I'll get a chance to meet her. Reading through her blog it's kind of scary how much she has to struggle just to pay her bills, even being a big independent animation star. I hope she can get some kind of distribution deal for Sita. I haven't seen it yet but maybe I'll get a chance eventually.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

"Sita sings the Blues" won the big price in Annecy for Best animated feature. Hooray!
http://www.annecy.org/home/index.php?Page_ID=2047