Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids - Definate MOHO

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

CrAzY Dan

Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids - Definate MOHO

Post by CrAzY Dan »

If you live in the U.K and tune into CITV then there is a show called Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids and this program is changed to using Moho for it's animating. I know this because it has the 'Moho Flow' and has all the features of a Moho cartoon.

If you do live in England then tune in and take a look it is showing that Moho is starting to be noticed by bigger companies.

It also has a very nice way of using Moho with painted backgrounds and detailed characters.

Take a look

CrAzY Dan :wink:
15 year old Anime Studio user...
27/12/06: Im back and ready to get creating again!!
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

The Internet Movie DataBase trivia on it says that it went from traditional animation to Flash in 2006:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0229132/

Does that mean that flash has the "moho flow"? :-)

jorgy
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

I think "Moho-flow" is a bad word because it suggests that the flow is some kind of fault of Moho when the program has nothing to do with that. It's who's turning the nobs and not the apparatus.
You get the flow by letting the software, any kind of animation software, do your tweening and you haven't put in enough keyframes. Bad animation in other words.
By calling it "Moho-flow" you might get some people to believe that Moho is a piece of crappy software...
And I hope you do know that Moho actually is an exellent cut-out animation software.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Good idea Mr. Rylleman. I will no longer refer to it that way, and instead call it "lazy computer animator flow". :-)

Seriously, that's a really good point.

jorgy
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

Thats a good point but if you can take a look at it then please do and you will see what i mean.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

CrAzY Dan wrote:Thats a good point but if you can take a look at it then please do and you will see what i mean.
The only UK channel I got is Discovery so I can't watch it but I think I can imagine what you mean.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

rylleman wrote:I think "Moho-flow" is a bad word because it suggests that the flow is some kind of fault of Moho when the program has nothing to do with that. It's who's turning the nobs and not the apparatus...
This is why when I first purchased Moho and read about this so called... "Moho Flow®"... I was very very confused.

I kept looking for it... in the application. I couldn't find it. I thought it was some kind of bug... or keyframe anomaly.

Because the description of it was so specific to Moho... I didn't realize I was looking for a "generic" flaw in animation technique rather than a flaw in the "pencil".

I kept re-reading the description trying to get a clearer picture of the problem.

----------

I doubt seriously that if a skilled moho user produced quality animation using Moho... and they didn't want you to know what they used... you wouldn't.

I saw some animations recently that were "done with Flash". They were scanned and auto-traced black on white sketches... hand drawn... but converted to vector. If these had been in raster format instead of SWF vector format then there would have been no way to tell how they were done.

Bad animation can be done in any application... ANY application.

______ - Flow®
(put the name of any animation program in the blank to suit your needs.

-Vern
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

heyvern wrote:______ - Flow®
(put the name of any animation program in the blank to suit your needs.
Human Brain - Flow ? :lol:

I think that most animation programs have ways to correct tweening errors, even handdrawn animation (powered by the brain) has a tweening correction, called animation supervisor. So the way to prevent tweening errors due to interpolation is training, rigorous training of the animator.

So, where is that Moho animation book we all are waiting for? Which seasoned animator is going to write that?
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

I was thinking about doing a book on cut-out animation in general, using Moho as the included tool. But then I got a job and what with one thing and another I don't have the time. Besides, there are probably people with a lot more experience than what I have. I've only finished 2.5 short animations in Moho.

I think part of the reason Moho tends to move the way it does (aside from animator laziness/inexperience) is the lack of control over the velocity graph in the timeline. The spline motion graph tends to produce very smooth motion. Here's hoping for a bezier curve in the next version.

Also, maybe it's the mistaken idea that some people have that everything needs to keep moving all the time. Last time I worked with Moho I found myself making a lot of goofs where I intended for a part of a character to stop moving, but forgot that there was another keyframe for that part later in the timeline, with the result that the part in question would drift (very slowly) into the next keyframe. Because the movement was so slow it was hard to catch and fix. Anyone else have that problem?
GC

Grizzly Tales - MOHO!!!

Post by GC »

Hello

Just wanted to let Crazy Dan (he's a bit crazy you know!) and everyone else know that Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids is not animated using MOHO!!! I know this because I work on the show. We actually use a software called Creatoon, sorry to piss on your parade Dan.
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

Kool! A professional on the Moho forums! Maybe I should have changed my post title's ! to a ? :)

Thanks for replying and sorting this out. It just looked like Moho to me, that's all

Dan :wink:
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

I looked at the feature list for Creatoon and from what I saw it looked like it had fewer features than Moho for a much bigger price. I could be wrong though.
GC

Creatoon Vs MOHO

Post by GC »

Yeah, but Creatoon is made by...The Belgians!!!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Are any of them famous? I could add them to my list...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
GC

Creatoon Vs Moho

Post by GC »

Erm...Jahnocli...was that for me? What do you mean???

Anyway, I'm sure Moho is great but any software is only as good as the person using it and we don't restrict ourselves to what one software can do and quite often we will use several to produce a series (Animo, Photoshop, Flash, After effects etc) if you would like to see some examples of our work Grizzly has just had a UK DVD release (Check out Play.com and Amazon Uk) we also have a series on Channel 5 in the UK called FUNKY VALLEY which is a prime example of what Creatoon can do...Enjoy.

Cheers GC