Yuri Norstein's "The Overcoat"

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

MarkBorok

Yuri Norstein's "The Overcoat"

Post by MarkBorok »

For those who haven't seen it, this is master animator Norstein's incomplete magnum opus. Made with layers and layers of cut-out pieces of paper.

http://www.pbs.org/weta/faceofrussia/ti ... coat1.html

http://www.pbs.org/weta/faceofrussia/ti ... coat2.html
gavi dvan

Post by gavi dvan »

Wowsers, that is amazing, a couple of steps ahead of South Park. I thought the head movement was very impressive... shattered the amination is so small!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make.
There is a 255 character limit
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Wow. For cutout animation, that is seriously impressive. Shows what can be done with imagination, knowledge and patience!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

No need to patronise cut-outs. There is nothing second-class about what Norstein has achieved with cut-out animation. His great masterpiece, "Tale of Tales" is regularly voted by other animators as one of the top ten animated films ever made, and it is a beautiful and melancholic film that has haunted me ever since I first saw it as an art student.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Hey, I'm not patronising anybody. But 99% of cutout animation I have seen is not very impressive, so kudos to someone who can use it like a master...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

It's ok, I didn't mean to sound aggressive, I just thought that to add the qualification "for cutout animation..." was unnecessary. I know what you mean about 99% of cutouts, and it's not a technique I have done much with either, but the few true masters of the form - Lotte Reiniger was another - have long ago convinced me of its potential, to the extent that their work, especially Norstein, stands alongside that of the fully drawn and puppet animators without qualification.

I suppose it's also the technique traditionally chosen by beginners because you don't have to produce many drawings to make a film. It looks easy.

Article about Lotte Reiniger

Still (or perhaps pre-production art?) from "Tale of Tales"