Klaus

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dkwroot

Klaus

Post by dkwroot »

I recently stumbled across this little gem. I was astonished by how smooth the animation was and how they incorporated 2d with 3d so seamlessly. I highly recommend checking it out.

jahnocli

Re: Klaus

Post by jahnocli »

Beautiful.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

Here's a quick interview that was posted last month. I can't wait to see it.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/interviews/s ... 13621.html
Adam
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

drumlug13 wrote:Here's a quick interview that was posted last month. I can't wait to see it.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/interviews/s ... 13621.html
Hand drawn, no CGI. Wow.
Cheers, Larry
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

This looks excellent!
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

It finally got released on 8 November 2019.

It's getting great reviews everywhere.

Amazing work all round. Very inspirational.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, Klaus is a beautiful movie!

The movie was screened at my workplace last week, and the director Sergio Pablos and animator James Baxter did a presentation about it and explained the unusual look of the film.

For the characters, they basically hand-created splines over hand-drawn 2D animation to create lighting effects normally seen in 3D animation, like ambient occlusion, subsurface scattering, radiosity, etc. The result is 2D animation that looks incredibly painted and modeled. This process would normally be painstakingly tedious but they used custom software that can track the lines in the drawings accurately and blazingly fast. But regardless of the digital tracking assistance, the artists' still had to 'light' these drawings by hand, and their mastery of the technique is impressive.

There's 3D animation in the film too, mostly the backgrounds and props, and the seamless blending of 2D and 3D techniques is amazing. When asked, the director refuses to label the movie 2D or 3D animation, he simply wants to call it animation...and he's absolutely right.

Besides the cool look of the movie, I liked the story a lot. It's an interesting take on the 'origin' story--not at all about a magical character but rather about how a non-magical character's story becomes the mythology. And told in a funny way too. :)
Pierre Gombaud

Post by Pierre Gombaud »

For those interested with the behind-the-stage technics about the lighting, take a look at this video

The tool used (LaS) is not commercially available but here is a demonstration on how it works (at 7:55)

Here are all the other videos available
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

not sure if you caught it in the general discussion board, but a user here created a pretty in-depth tutorial on how to achieve similar lighting control in moho: http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtop ... 9&start=15