TOON BOOM SOLO OR TOON BOOM MOHO ?

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

stephklein

Post by stephklein »

Before buying Moho, I tried the demo of Toon Boom Studio. I found it to be counter-intuitive. Within 3 hours of downloading the moho demo, I had already applied a working skeleton to a drawing. After about 5 hours trying to use TBstudio, I was still grappling with it's "peg" system, and trying to figure out how to keyframe anything.
-Steph Klein
Jus_Me

Post by Jus_Me »

I wouldnt spend the money for TB Solo, I think MoHo is way easier to use, And better tutorials.
I never liked the peg system :shock:
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

stephklein wrote:Before buying Moho, I tried the demo of Toon Boom Studio. I found it to be counter-intuitive. Within 3 hours of downloading the moho demo, I had already applied a working skeleton to a drawing. After about 5 hours trying to use TBstudio, I was still grappling with it's "peg" system, and trying to figure out how to keyframe anything.
Toon Boom is not set up for doing inbetweening, except for certain simple things like camera moves or background pans. Otherwise, you're supposed to do all the animation yourself in the traditional manner. I agree that the peg system is way too complicated and weird (why do you have to attach the camera to a peg to move it? Why not just animate the camera?), but if you're using ToonBoom the way it was designed, you shouldn't have to use pegs all that much.

I'm planning on buying ToonBoom as soon as I'm done with my current Flash project in order to replace Flash as a cel animation program. I use Moho for cut-out animation.
stephklein

Post by stephklein »

MarkBorok wrote:Toon Boom is not set up for doing inbetweening, except for certain simple things like camera moves or background pans. Otherwise, you're supposed to do all the animation yourself in the traditional manner.
That's not really true at all. The toon boom website is plastered with cutout animation information. They have video tutorials all about using the peg system for cutout animation. Actually, I found very little information about traditional cel-animation on their site (though, to be fair, i wasnt looking for it).

Are you sure we're talking about the same software here?
-Steph Klein
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

The "cut-out" features are something they are only recently pushing and I think they are probably clumsily implemented precisely because the peg system was meant for doing pans and things. I haven't tried them, though, so I can't say for sure.

The reason I said it's not set up for doing inbetweening is that their FAQ (or something) explained the reason why they didn't include morphing between shapes (the way Flash and Moho allow you to morph); because the software was meant for people working in more or less traditional styles. Of course, most hobbyists don't have the patience to draw all those frames, so the examples on Toon Boom's site are mostly of really bad limited animation, or it's people having fun with the multiplane camera moves. I think that's probably why they added the "cut-outs" feature in the most recent release. It's also probably why they're making a big deal of it on their web site, since it's a new feature and one they hope will attract more hobbyists.

Of course, we all know that Moho is the only choice for cut-out animation.