Troll Slayer- Insect Overlords (Episode 3)

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

spoooze!

Troll Slayer- Insect Overlords (Episode 3)

Post by spoooze! »

Here's a brand new preview of this month's Troll Slayer episode! I think the show finally has a coherent style now that I have the hang of Toonboom's amazing animation tools.

Episode 3 PREVIEW!

More Episodes:

Episode 1: The Smartest, The Sexiest

Episode 2: Mayonnaise on my Hands

Enjoy!!

Animated in Toon Boom Animate Pro.
Last edited by spoooze! on Tue May 01, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

Looks good!

But why did you switch from AS to Toon Boom? There's nothing you've done there that couldn't have been done in AS.
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

But why did you switch from AS to Toon Boom? There's nothing you've done there that couldn't have been done in AS.
Mostly because it seems like it's the software that's taking over "Flash" productions here in the US :( So I'm jumping on the bandwagon so I can learn the software and possibly land a job in the near future. I just graduated from animation school and I'm going to be job hunting soon, so I think it's good to know more mainstream software like Toonboom and *shudder* Flash.

I'm not totally abandoning AS, it definitely has a special place with me, but most of my stuff is going to be done in TB from now on.
hothead

Post by hothead »

spoooze! wrote:
Mostly because it seems like it's the software that's taking over

i tell everyone here that but they don't believe me instead they so i work for TB they are going to say the same think about you.
can someone let TB hire me please.
SvenFoster

Re: "Troll Slayer" Preview

Post by SvenFoster »

spoooze! wrote:Hey guys!

Here's a short preview of a new web series I'm working on animated in Toonboom Animate Pro:

http://youtu.be/kS3cukVb3Hw

It's just a short clip (more to come soon!!) but I think it turned out pretty good. I'll post the full episode when I'm all done.

Have a great day! 8)
Looks great, I kept being drawn to his hair not moving back when he was talking as it was very static ocnsidering he was tilting his head back however, I can see that it could be a style choice....

I liked it.

as with the other guys, I couldn't see anything that couldn't be done in asp but I understand your reasons for using TB. I'm sure TB is awsome and looking at the videos on the site, I would love a pen/brush tool like that in ASP!!!, ie, something that would allow you delete the overlapping segments and smooth the line in a *sensible* way.. not just based on a number of points but curve fitting.

Still at 10th of the price...musnt grumble.

ps: in case you forgotten.. I liked your animation ;)
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I like the overall design (nice blend of recent and 50's style), but some details looked odd to me.

- Can't we get rid of these "Family Guy" eyes? At least skip that outline around the circle. Or even try and make that not a circle but a shape which defines the shadowed area below the eyebrows plus the pouches?

- Everything moves smoothly, which is fine. But why have a rigid face then? The chin should move and distort with the mouth. And all face elements should move in relation to each other and distort for expression.

BTW I think your skills have improved greatly over time.
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

SvenFoster wrote:as with the other guys, I couldn't see anything that couldn't be done in asp but I understand your reasons for using TB. I'm sure TB is awsome and looking at the videos on the site, I would love a pen/brush tool like that in ASP!!!, ie, something that would allow you delete the overlapping segments and smooth the line in a *sensible* way.. not just based on a number of points but curve fitting.
Yeah, the drawing tools in TB are SUPERB! I've never cared for the freehand drawing tool in ASP, I always used the "add point" tool to draw which took longer but gave you way more control over your lines. Then I'd tweak the thick and thin afterwards till I got the line I wanted.

I always liked that you could go and animate your points, that's something I kind of miss in Toonboom.
ps: in case you forgotten.. I liked your animation
Haha no worries :D
slowtiger wrote: - Can't we get rid of these "Family Guy" eyes? At least skip that outline around the circle. Or even try and make that not a circle but a shape which defines the shadowed area below the eyebrows plus the pouches?
Possibly, I just found the round eyes faster to get expressions out of haha :P
BTW I think your skills have improved greatly over time.
Thanks!
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

Here's an updated version with new footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC6c9wcOEi8

Made some character design adjustments and completely re-animated it with a simple background instead of just a gray color card behind him which, I think, is an improvement.
hothead

Post by hothead »

the first is better to me
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

the first is better to me
Agreed. The first character is more interesting with his chin moving and overlapping the body. The second one is too much just a floating face in a circle.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

When you slay the troll, does he say:
Question Question Question OH ! I get your meaning, all right, BUT~ why bother ~ my *OTHER* intention was~ ALSO~ *to learn* a/s > AND < let's *FACE~IT* = the page of this forum is a *BUMP* down. { Now I wouldn't have minded so much, had that resulted from *A LACK* in subject interest, BUT~ to find that *EFFECTIVE~COMMENT* came from Mouth of *TOUT*~ to another~ unofficial forum, *SADDENs-ME* more than just a little. For it means; not only is this forum valueless but also, since no *experienced* members bothered to a] acknowledge said subjects interest and b] bother to add any meaning full imput, that *THIS FORUM* is d'facto D'FUNCT, as a learning aid. Question Question Question

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil After *bolt* .... how did you ever get... to see if any of them......... gave a shit ? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I also noticed, and have noticed in the past *ON THAT~OTHER FORUM* that ~ they comment upon *those~ with a tendency to *SUCK* off *TALENT* { seeking scripting material ~ I think they said } not you understand that I think *U* are.

SO ! ~ I too had a friend ~ who had an attractive looking lunch time bagel shop very nearly near to an underground station here in london, {nearly near~ important} also on way however, to *Tourist* attractions. From exit of station~ 3 directions~ 1- plainly unattractive, 1- clearly leading to residential area and the 3rd the only *then* possible route. {rout- if you are - the American sort of *ENGLISH* twister }
Now nearly near is NOT NEAR, BUT ~ all the *tourists* {all persuasions} -*NO MAP*- would come to his *FOOD & DRINK* shop ..... to ask for directions, but buy nothing.
SO~ He would- on being asked: 1st ask then if indeed that was the case. If yes~ go into a *good* speel about just how wonderful and delightful and amazing said attraction was. ~ AND THEN ~ give them detailed instructions ~~~~~~ in the opposite direction. with leaflet to goods on sale in his shop, map stapled into centre
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil and upon the back *WRITTEN~ next time.... contribute *f-ker*.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Question Question Question Question Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Maybe it's some kind of curse?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

Agreed. The first character is more interesting with his chin moving and overlapping the body. The second one is too much just a floating face in a circle.
Eh, to each his own then. I prefer the second version.
When you slay the troll, does he say:
Yes, yes he does :P And it's a curse... OF THE WORST KIND MUHAHAHAHA!
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

Well it took me a while to finish but here's the first full episode of Troll Slayer!

http://youtu.be/ef3dPGFdnNI

Enjoy!!

In this first episode Troll Slayer tells us how amazing he is, riffs on the Video Game Awards ("aka the Troll Fest!!"), and rants about how *he thinks* Skyrim is the worst game ever made (but we know better of course!).

Animated in Toon Boom Animate Pro.
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

Here's the second episode! Made a few adjustments to the character design... added some eyebrows and took away those ugly nostrils!

Episode 2: Mayonnaise on my Hands
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

Here's a brand new preview of this month's Troll Slayer episode! I think the show finally has a coherent style now that I have the hang of Toonboom's animation tools.

Episode 3 PREVIEW!