paper cut out animation Jean-Michel Jarre

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

I know there is a heap of work involved in this and you have invested many months of work but I have to ask the question, why? I'm not sure what you set out to achieve with this.

My take on animation is its about story telling, either funny or like the Windmill Farmer, a really good short story of man triumphing over adversity.

technically there are some problems regarding wire-removal and lighting (which is a constant problem with stop-frame completed over months... variations in power, blown lamps where the replacement never matches the original, etc). It is also one long single shot - breaking the film into scenes might actually work better.

Someone else might have a different angle on this but I'm not sure its going to get a high Youtube clicks, go viral or anything. It's missing that engaging 'X' factor thing which stop-frame usually has.

Somehow, this seems to have mised the mark, which is a great pity as so much time and effort has been invested.

Rhoel
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

Rhoel wrote:I know there is a heap of work involved in this and you have invested many months of work but I have to ask the question, why? I'm not sure what you set out to achieve with this.
I don't think Ruscular3D actually made that video.

I saw the style as ironic, being deliberately "crappy" as an antidote to today's slick Maya animation. Unfortunately, because of the repetitive nature of the music (I'll get lynched by the French for saying that, JMJ is their God), it makes the video seem too long and a bit boring.

But the original song was about penguins, and it does end with the album cover, so as an homage it's not too bad.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

That was tedious, repetitive, predictable, clumsy AND boring. One or two nice things in there, but swamped by everything else...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

JaMike wrote:I don't think Ruscular3D actually made that video.
Point noted: I was being polite as it was Christmas - I did want to hit the fast forward button within a few seconds of it starting.

If I was doing penguins to this, I would be tempted to have them head-banging away in time to the music, foot stopping as they went. That would be amusing. There seems lots of things they could have done with this, other than this.

Rhoel
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

As my name suggest I am into 3D stereo type animation and thought that this video was stylistic in taking a papercut out animation, but also push the perspective in creating depth that could easily be done with AS.

As for the content, it had a eco message for the green movement.
dm

Post by dm »

My daughter (9 years old) and I watched that, and were both unimpressed. Looks like young kids did the animation. Pes animations are generally cheesy, but at least they try to be clever. If kids did that, I guess it's OK. If not, there's not much excuse for it, is there? My daughter certainly does better work than that.

eatpes.com if you don't know about pes.

(and, I generally don't much care for Pes either)
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I can appreciate it as an antidote to slick Maya animation (which I'm getting quite bored with) but I agree with Jahnocli that it was sloppy. The shot with the car coming towards the camera looked effective except that the tree's were animated going the wrong way!? The timing was just too slow also. A shame because a lot of artwork had obviously been created for the project.