Terry Gilliam - Do it yourself animation show

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cheyne

Terry Gilliam - Do it yourself animation show

Post by cheyne »

This is fantastic! The man behind the animations in Monty Pythons Flying Circus.

Well and truly before my time. Please take your time to watch this "masterclass" on cut-out animation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrsKPKjG ... ideo_title
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

brilliant! great find :)

I think we should have a cutout challenge... there's so much source material at our fingertips (google image search etc) - to just create completely random stuff like this in AS - you could even record your funny sounds directly into it!

who's with me? :P
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

Great, thanks a bunch for posting this!

udd
Shanty Baba

Post by Shanty Baba »

Thanks for that!
Shanty
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

funksmaname wrote:
I think we should have a cutout challenge... there's so much source material at our fingertips (google image search etc) - to just create completely random stuff like this in AS - you could even record your funny sounds directly into it!

who's with me? :P
Could be fun. What's the challenge?

Maybe you need to make a new post?
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

thinking about it here's some ideas:
take 10+ random images from google image search and make a 'gag' out of it using only cut out techniques (bones would be fine, but no bending/morphing images)
Images should be unrelated and used out of context where possible.

also using 'step' interpolation to force a jittery traditional look would be prefered...

Any more ideas to include?
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

funksmaname wrote:thinking about it here's some ideas:
take 10+ random images from google image search and make a 'gag' out of it using only cut out techniques (bones would be fine, but no bending/morphing images)
Images should be unrelated and used out of context where possible.

also using 'step' interpolation to force a jittery traditional look would be prefered...

Any more ideas to include?
How can I pick random images?
Could we duplicate images? Or resize them during the animation? Should camera moves be only zooming in and out?
Basically we could do it as to imitate sitting down with some cut outs and moving them around. but using bones.

udd
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I found this:
http://www.randimaginator.tk/

If you just set it to 'words' and click go you get an interesting mish mash of material...then if you get specific needs you can search for extra images to use with google

duplication and resizing is fine, but maybe sticking to step interpolation will force a more traditional look

Photoshopping/airbrushing should be allowed so you can make puppets out of images you find :) could be fun!
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Sounds like fun!
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
cheyne

Post by cheyne »

No worries guys! I totally found it by chance, as most of the cool stuff I find on the lovely internet.

Well, I think a cut-out challenge would be nifty!

What if someone (me) select a set of images, and we make the challenge based on those? I can make it up as a pack, put it somewhere to download and work from there?

That'll take a bit of the hackwork of it for searching for images (for busy or lazy folk), and we'll have a set of resources to "challenge" ourselves with.

How does that sound? I'll post a topic in competitions, and link to it here in this post 8)
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

cheyne wrote:
Well, I think a cut-out challenge would be nifty!

What if someone (me) select a set of images, and we make the challenge based on those? I can make it up as a pack, put it somewhere to download and work from there?

That'll take a bit of the hackwork of it for searching for images (for busy or lazy folk), and we'll have a set of resources to "challenge" ourselves with.

How does that sound? I'll post a topic in competitions, and link to it here in this post 8)
Sounds like a good idea to me. I like the idea of someone else picking the images, I could get really "mental" about something like that.

And will there be a list of rules or we go by the ideas on this post?

udd
cheyne

Post by cheyne »

Cool as, I will go ahead and get some images together and put some rules together.

So basic rules (please give input) should be I guess:

- run time e.g. 30-45 seconds
- audio or no audio? (I think it should have audio)
- video size e.g. 1280 x 720
- maybe post a youtube video, and entries posted as responses? Maybe easier to just link in a post
- after we get enough posts have a poll to vote on best one?
- should it be comedy orientated? Or just whatever?
- a DEADLINE, that's always important, 3-4 weeks from start? Is that too long for a cut-out when we are just having fun?

Since it's a challenge and rather then a competition, I guess we shouldn't be too stringent on rules.

Anyway, this could be great fun indeed! I'll get some images together ASAP.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

hey,
yeah I wouldn't get too hot on the rules - what I would suggest is maybe we say you should use at least 3 images from the pack, and you can add your own - you just have to work them into the animation? That will be less limiting I think, i think part of the fun is finding some images!

I'm not sure we need to set a deadline or poll a winner - it may discourage the meek to participate... Also people stumbling on the post after deadline should also be encouraged to post rather than locking off the idea?

i think sound should be optional but encouraged. In-fact, we could turn the whole thing on its head and instead of supplying images supply a soundtrack (or additionally) - say a gilliam video turned into an audio file... I bet when you listen to it out of context it will help come up with ideas and also fix the timing and give certain hit points to go for? just an idea :)
cheyne

Post by cheyne »

Hey Funks, yeah you are right - we should leave it as something fun to do. Scrap my ideas about rules etc.

Good idea about the pack - could be like "Tropfest" which has a "key" item for each years competition.

Agree about sound.

Had a busy few days but got time off next couple so will get something together and find some audio for people to use. I don't really need an excuse to watch some Flying Circus :-D
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

yeah - maybe a couple of options would be good - one with some 'talking' while the other is just soundfx and music... :)