The Terrible Thing of Alpha-9!

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

slowtiger

The Terrible Thing of Alpha-9!

Post by slowtiger »

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/brewtv/alpha9.html

Watch this first without reading any of the text below. Then watch it again.
The400th

Post by The400th »

It's a good student film. What's your point about reading the text and watching it again? Do you think the director is being too pretentious? Sounded like standard film school talk to me.

What am I missing? :?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I agree. I read the text first -- didn't spoil my enjoyment of the film, which I thought was pretty good.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
toonertime

texting

Post by toonertime »

thanks for the great animation post, mr. tiger!

I loved his style and story and coloring!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Thanks for warning me Slowtiger.
This was great. I did NOT read the text first.

-vern
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

My point was: this film was entirely made in Flash, and it doesn't show anywhere.

Now I'd really like to see something that stylish and well-balanced made in AS.
The400th

Post by The400th »

My point was: this film was entirely made in Flash, and it doesn't show anywhere.
They used Flash for doing frame-by-frame, as opposed to doing limited cut-out style, is that what you mean? I'm sorry, but the days when you could identify and criticise the "Flash look" are long gone. I assumed it was made in Flash after the first few seconds, simply because most non-expensive frame-by-frame animation IS done in Flash nowadays.
Now I'd really like to see something that stylish and well-balanced made in AS.
Sigh, this again? This is only one step away from saying "Could have been done in AS" which we hear people grumble from time to time. There is PLENTY of AS work that is as good or better than this film.

Yes, this film was good. But it was drawn frame-by-frame, something that AS doesn't excel at. So you're comparing apples with oranges.

If you're just talking about the story, direction, etc., then that has nothing to do with Flash and if it had been made in AS, it would have nothing to do with AS either.

We should be celebrating the good work done in AS, not gazing longingly over the fence into the Flash garden.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

slowtiger wrote:My point was: this film was entirely made in Flash, and it doesn't show anywhere.
Oh, I SEE! You are using the animatiion to make some kind of point! I just wanted to enjoy it...how naive of me.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I thought it was because they told the ending in the text. I like to watch without knowing what will happen.

I could care less if they used Flash Imageready or AS. Makes no difference. ;)

p.s. You want to have your mind blown... check the latest entry in the "Gallery Submissions" topic in "Share Your Work". Do THAT with Flash.

-vern
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I really enjoyed it. I didn't read it too, as Vern I thought if I read they would tell me who was the mysterious murder.
Thanks for posting.

And for AS and Flash, I really would love to have a frame by frame type layer. You can do this kind of animation in AS, but with much more work to achieve some things that in frame by frame are pretty easy (like the smoke which is separated in several parts before disappearing). If AS would combine all its power with something like a frame by frame layer I'm pretty sure we could do something like this animation using the half of time.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

heyvern wrote:I thought it was because they told the ending in the text. I like to watch without knowing what will happen.
So you never watch anything more than once?
slowtiger wrote:My point was: this film was entirely made in Flash, and it doesn't show anywhere.
Why the hell would anyone care?
Max99

Post by Max99 »

Thanks for that link.
:P
Manu

Post by Manu »

Mmm, I think what Slowtiger is trying to point out is that this guy has managed to let his art rise above the tool. Specially the monster has a remarkable amount of personality and is really gracefully animated. Nowhere do you see the typical Flash look creeping in.

Also, it's worth remembering there's no dialogue in this film. Everything is communicated through mime. That's a whole order of magnitude more difficult than doing some lipsync.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Wow. This is awesome ;) Very inspiring. Thanks for the link man
The400th

Post by The400th »

Manu wrote:Nowhere do you see the typical Flash look creeping in.
There hasn't been a "typical Flash look" for years. Check out Adam Phillips or Bernard Derriman if you want proof of that.
Also, it's worth remembering there's no dialogue in this film. Everything is communicated through mime.
But he uses on-screen text in the Wanted posters. That communicates a LOT.