The Terrible Thing of Alpha-9!

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

he uses on-screen text in the Wanted posters. That communicates a LOT.
Agreed - but I think this would've worked as well if he'd used cyrillic or sanskrit lettering. Just the look of a newspaper or "wanted"-poster layout would've been enough.
Manu

Post by Manu »

The400th wrote:There hasn't been a "typical Flash look" for years. Check out Adam Phillips or Bernard Derriman if you want proof of that.
A few exceptions don't mean the vast majority of Flash animations still suffer from that typical look. No-one here said this student film is the first time someone managed to get rid of the Flash look. It just is an example that happened to come along.
The400th wrote:But he uses on-screen text in the Wanted posters. That communicates a LOT.
Goodness me. Are you that desperate to dismiss this students achievements? 90% of this film is communicated non-verbally at a very high standard. The expressive animations of the monster, the beautiful elegant poses, the sense of weight and a keen sense of design, that's what we're talking about here.

If I was running an animation studio and he knocked on my door, I'd hire him in a heartbeat.
The400th

Post by The400th »

Manu wrote:Goodness me. Are you that desperate to dismiss this students achievements?
Goodness me. Are you that desperate to divert attention from the fact that I was correcting you?

Don't put words in my mouth. I liked the film, I think it's good. I just disagree with your assertion that modern Flash animation is "typically" inferior, and that everything in the film is communicated with mime.

Don't make it sound like I am criticizing the film when I am not. That's a cheap trick.