Poser, Anime and Manga sold to Smith Micro

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

blacksunproject wrote:Do you have any comments about the possibility
of Adobe copying Anime Studio?
I know that some people at Adobe know about Anime Studio. But whether they take it at all seriously, or have any interest in implementing similar features, I have no idea.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I think a lot of people are thinking of the upcoming "bones" feature in Flash. That has been a long time coming. Probably a feature for Flash that has been wished for since before Moho existed (I know I did). Quite honestly I am shocked and amazed that bones in Flash hadn't been added as a feature ages and ages ago.

Personally I doubt that Moho/AS had any influence on Adobe adding bone animation to Flash. (No offense Mike. ;) ) I will say that maybe... all of the bone solutions for Flash development as a whole might have been a factor. There are some "plugins" or "extras" for Flash that add bones for character animation.

-vern
DK

Post by DK »

I'd just like to say it's great to see you on the forum again Mike!

Cheers
D.K
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Lost Marble wrote:... And you can't sell a box to a store and every month come out with a new version. The stores just won't be able to keep up, and eventually you'll have some stores selling out-of-date versions of the software. That's not in the publisher's interest *or* the customer's interest.
I've been thinking about this. I knew when I read it I wasn't in total agreement, it just took me a while to comment.

I don't think this is actually true. A final full version release would be "in the box". However there is no reason that incremental updates couldn't be available for those brave souls willing to "test it out".

I hate to bring up Animation Master again... but that is the model they use. Hash has a solid release version of the software that is sold on the disk. Then through out the year they release... uh... scads of updates, both for the current working version and alphas and betas for the next version.

I am not suggesting that level of updates at all! That would be way over the top. Hash uses a subscripting model. I don't think we need or want that for AS.

I do however believe periodic download only updates wouldn't be out of the question and wouldn't interfere with marketing or be bad for the customers. If anything the customers who want to try out new features before they are "solid" or "locked down" this would be a huge bonus and it would help out the company since we can real world test new features and help find bugs.

To protect the "innocent" just make sure these "betas" or whatever are clearly labeled... like "THIS WILL KILL YOU IF USED IMPROPERLY! DOWNLOAD AT YOUR OWN RISK!".

Imagine if more people had access to the last version of AS with the "open image file bug" before it was an official release. It could have been snuffed out long before it became an issue.

Some people complain about paying to be "beta testers" for commercial software... I like it.... as long as problem fixes could be expected on a timely basis. ;)

-vern
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Not only that... but I'd *love* to see the figures on how much software is sold in stores nowadays.

It can't possibly be that big a piece of the pie anymore -- just *what* stores are we talking about? Yeah, perhaps Apple stores (although folks go there for hardware mostly), Best Buy and that ilk, and (for this kind of software) that's about it. Only LM knows the actual figures, but I know for sure that many companies *only* sell online.

The days of "Software Etc" are long past -- and everyone has internet. I can't remember the last time I bought software at a store. Is putting boxes on shelves really that big a deal?
jwlane

Feature trajectory

Post by jwlane »

When I looks at Smith's product line, I got a clear indication of where this might go for AS in the near future. Smith will ad export features for embedding interactive elements. These elements will exist in ads sent through phone and computer internet connections. I believe I read a recent article about the FCC approving text message advertising for phone networks. Look at Smith's product for embedding media into JPEG's. This is already used in the real estate business. There probably won't be much emphasis on things like 16 and 32 bit color depth for HD, for now.

Things could turn out OK, just the same. I'm not saying this relates, but it makes me think of the following: Microsoft briefly owned Softimage (XSI) in the mid 90's. The techs up in Montreal hated the imposed windows architecture limitations (of that time). Softimage was created to run on Irix, the Sgi version of Unix. Suddenly they were forced into a system that wouldn't even support their old email addresses. Talk about pissed Quebecois! And, you might fall off your stool laughing if you think about the corporate cultures bumping up against each other. Anyway, things finally got sorted out and Softimage got a more appropriate home.

I wasn't happy about efrontier's acquisition. And unlike efrontier, Smith is more than simply mercantile. The near future may not present the best upgrades for pure entertainment content, but possibly there is a better chance for programmers to get more support of some type.

Please don't anyone be offended by the above remarks. I'm merely making a logical supposition from this point of view.
Last edited by jwlane on Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

I was hoping to be able to purchase version 6 of Moho/AS for Christmas. I will keep all my fingers and toes crossed!
"and then Man created god!"
Genete

Post by Genete »

Jean_R

Post by Jean_R »

If you own either English version, order Anime Studio 5 Pro French at the upgrade price!
Does SmithMicro want to sell a french release of the fifth version at -25% off to fifth Pro english version owners ?
Last edited by Jean_R on Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why??

Post by 1999 »

Dam sense that make's...............A view to a sucker 3!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :evil: I say let's kill them. :roll: I did not see anybody do it. :wink: Toonboom here we come. :)
Nice!