Poser, Anime and Manga sold to Smith Micro

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

F.M.

Post by F.M. »

So, Lost Marble still owns Moho/As, and Micro Smith will only be the distributor?
"and then Man created god!"
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

F.M. wrote:So, Lost Marble still owns Moho/As, and Micro Smith will only be the distributor?
That's right.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

J. Baker wrote:That's how the big companies work when they're more worried about the big launch to make the big dollar. Instead of keeping there customers happy by fixing bugs or at least keeping in touch with them.
I understand where that feeling is coming from, but that's not the whole picture. Part of distributing a product in a physical, boxed form is getting it in stores. And you can't sell a box to a store and every month come out with a new version. The stores just won't be able to keep up, and eventually you'll have some stores selling out-of-date versions of the software. That's not in the publisher's interest *or* the customer's interest.

So it's not all about the "big dollars" (yeah, don't I wish). But it does come down to money in a way, as most things do. If a product changes too often, the stores don't know to keep up with it - if it's too much trouble to sell, they won't - and if nobody sells it, nobody buys it, and the product goes away.

It's a balancing act between having a stable product for a while that is a known quantitiy that can be sold by retailers, and adding new features to satisfy users. The latter is what we're trying to do with the update I talked about a while back - it's been frustrating to me too that it's taken so long, but it really is coming...
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

I remember e-frontier was interested in purchasing the rights to Moho at one point, but after this Smith Micro thing THANK GOD it never happened. But this also means Smith Micro owns the name "Anime Studio" but not the technology, and like e-frontier, they have no real motivation to provide developer support for Anime Studio unless they own it all. They have a license. That's it. Why put money into a product you don't really own? Or even understand for that matter? Smith Micro owns the rights to Poser and Manga Studio, their attention and resources will be focused on those two products.

This means that only one developer will be working on updates for Anime Studio, and even tho this person is Mike Clifton, the guy who started it all, he is working a full time job and is busy raising a family.

So I'm conflicted. I am really happy the rights still belong to Lost Marble. If Smith Micro goes down, Anime Studio is still in good hands(not sure we can say the same about Poser and Manga Studio) but there is little hope of getting additional developer support if only one man has any real stake in the product.

I am betting Smith Micro makes an offer to Mike soon, if they haven't already. His answer will ultimately determine the fate of Anime Studio.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Thanks LM, I know it can be frustrating on both parts and I wish you the best because you have made a wonderful product. My concern was the fact that it's switching hands again but now to a company that has no knowledge, that I know of, in the animation area.

But I hope all goes well for everyone and I'm glad you're still part of it. :wink:

EDIT: Oh and I would like to add that my frustration is not getting the new features. It's getting the current bugs fixed. I'm pretty happy with all the features it already offers. :wink:
slice11217

Post by slice11217 »

I guess now that Mike's calmed my initial anxiety about the issue, I'm wondering: are we still going to get the same great deal as far as upgrades go? Are all our serial numbers still going to be held as valid by Smith Micro?

And also, since I've been spending months trying to persuade the management of Animation Collective to switch to animating in ASP, is the price for new customers going to rise now that it's in the hands of another company?

-Just some topics that haven't been covered yet.

S
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Mike,

Without trying to sound like a broken record (too late)... is scripting going to be a focus for new features in anyway whatsoever?

There is just one or two additions that would make my life so much easier... and I could do so many more cool things a lot faster. Create all those features everyone wants.

The biggest one right now would be to add access to the "XGraphics" function to ALL scripts, instead of just tools. I could build an interactive scripted "tutorial engine" to run within AS.

This would be cool as heck for me. I hate creating video tutorials. It would be great to create self running tutorials right in an AS file.

I should pitch this to Smith Micro... and then they can bug YOU. ;)

-vern
DK

Post by DK »

I wonder what will become of all the AS content on Content Paradise? Does anyone know if this deal includes the content side for Poser and AS?

D.K
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

Thanks Mike, it's a big relief to hear your news. Moho is still the best 2D/3D animation app on the planet!
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I found out yesterday that Content Paradise IS part of the deal.

So, no changes there really. They may change the site around a bit :)
psaldari

Post by psaldari »

Wow, thanks Mike for the explanation... now I am more reassured.
DarthFurby wrote:
...Smith Micro owns the rights to Poser and Manga Studio, their attention and resources will be focused on those two products.
Manga Studio is the english version of Comic Studio (Japan):
http://www.comicstudio.net
And this software is property of celsys:
http://www.celsys.co.jp/

Now the question is:
If Anime Studio is property of Lost Marble and Manga Studio is property of Celsys, Smith Micro what has bought?
Only Poser and the right to sell - translate the others two?

Paolo
sfb

e-frontier e-mail

Post by sfb »

Received the e-mail announcement from e-frontier today. The note had a link to their website too.

http://www.e-frontier.com/go/news

Scott
blacksunproject

Post by blacksunproject »

Lost Marble wrote:
J. Baker wrote:That's how the big companies work when they're more worried about the big launch to make the big dollar. Instead of keeping there customers happy by fixing bugs or at least keeping in touch with them.
I understand where that feeling is coming from, but that's not the whole picture. Part of distributing a product in a physical, boxed form is getting it in stores. And you can't sell a box to a store and every month come out with a new version. The stores just won't be able to keep up, and eventually you'll have some stores selling out-of-date versions of the software. That's not in the publisher's interest *or* the customer's interest.

So it's not all about the "big dollars" (yeah, don't I wish). But it does come down to money in a way, as most things do. If a product changes too often, the stores don't know to keep up with it - if it's too much trouble to sell, they won't - and if nobody sells it, nobody buys it, and the product goes away.

It's a balancing act between having a stable product for a while that is a known quantitiy that can be sold by retailers, and adding new features to satisfy users. The latter is what we're trying to do with the update I talked about a while back - it's been frustrating to me too that it's taken so long, but it really is coming...
I agree, great response.
I have another question,
what about Adobe integrating some of Anime Studio's tools,
such as bones? I saw a brief demonstration at one of their conferences
recently and it looks like they are trying to copy AS.

Do you have any comments about the possibility
of Adobe copying Anime Studio?

Thanks in advance,
Gustavo
Farbklecks

Post by Farbklecks »

blacksunproject wrote:...
I have another question,
what about Adobe integrating some of Anime Studio's tools,
such as bones? I saw a brief demonstration at one of their conferences
recently and it looks like they are trying to copy AS.

Do you have any comments about the possibility
of Adobe copying Anime Studio?
So, so, ... Adobe makes Flash mutating into AS?
Sadly, they don't do it with the price too!
:twisted: :wink:
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

Lost Marble wrote:
F.M. wrote:So, Lost Marble still owns Moho/As, and Micro Smith will only be the distributor?
That's right.
Now that's great news.
Dave