Codec / Dual processor Questions

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Tel750

Codec / Dual processor Questions

Post by Tel750 »

Hi,
Here are some general questions I have as a result of refreshing myself on Moho's tutorials.
On exporting tutorial animatations the sorenson 3 codec is avaliable as an option, on clicking on the options it revealed a dialog box with some options on and some off, but these can't seem to be changed. Am I assuming correctly that an upgrade to the pro version is necessary and if the pro version was installed would it come up as an export option in Moho? The reason I ask this is I am using a dual processor Mac and the codec allows for dual proccessor optimization, but only in the pro version I assume.
This leads me to my next assumption, that Moho is not configured to take advantage of dual proccessors?
My last question is more related to current thought, Cribble had mentioned that he exports to the animation codec as it has no compression and is then suited for editing to TV and Film, is that the case for most users?
I did cut and paste the resolution requirements for TV so I should have no problems there.
My apologies in advance if my questions may seem lame, I am sure they will reflect my newbie/ layman status.

Cheers
Tel
And now! At Last! Another film completely different from some of the other films which aren't quite the same as this one is.
Not animation related just what I do.
http://www.chivali.com.au
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

1. Sorenson codec and multiple processors:

Sorenson does offer a pro version of their video codec. You can find more information here:

http://www.sorenson.com/solutions/prod/sv3_win.php

It's $299 - I'll leave it up to you if you think that's worth it. If you're doing a lot of straight encoding, the multi-processor feature might be valuable, but with Moho you're spending a lot of time rendering and the encoding part is just a small bit of the overally process.

2. Moho and multiple processors:

Moho does not specifically take advantage of multiple processors, but there are parts of Moho that run in separate threads - for example, rendering. What this means is that on a multi-processor machine (on any OS), if you just let the machine sit and render, it won't be any faster than a single processor machine. However, if you keep working on a project in Moho while a rendering is going on, the multi-processor machine should remain more responsive.

3. Animation codec:

The Animation codec is only lossless if you select Best quality. Otherwise, it can actually have some pretty bad artifacts. But yes, with Best quality, the Animation codec is lossless.
Tel750

Post by Tel750 »

Thanks for that. I have an 11.5mb quicktime movie that I made with Moho a few years ago, I will post it to 'show your work' when I figure out where to upload it. It is a little large for geocities I think.

Cheers

Tel
And now! At Last! Another film completely different from some of the other films which aren't quite the same as this one is.
Not animation related just what I do.
http://www.chivali.com.au