Crash on Export in OSX

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

VidE

Crash on Export in OSX

Post by VidE »

I have an 800 frame project that I'm exporting to 720x540, 30fps, Animation (High but not Highest) quality. Application quits suddenly, every time. Tried dividing up the render to 200 frame sections, still crashes.

I'm using a Macbook, Core2 Duo w/2GB ram. Using Anime Studio Pro. Any ideas?
VidE

Post by VidE »

Eliminated the soundtrack and that seemed to resolve the problem, although the render did stall once.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

There's a known bug about rendering on Mac OS. You can work around this with using the Batch Export option instead of Export Animation.
len

Post by len »

This is definitely a bug on Intel macs only. I ran countless successful Anim Exports on my old power book (powerpc).
Recently upgraded to a MacBook Pro with Intel and I'm starting to hit this same problem. Batch Export seems to get around it nicely. Thanks.

Incidentally, the bug persists in 5.5 that was recently released.
cribble

Post by cribble »

Can't wait for that update eh :roll:
--Scott
cribble.net
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Happy New Year!

I eventually got AS for Mac, it was a bit epic but I got it up and running. After finally making the switch to Mac and sing the machine with the sole purpose of being able to animate with Moho / AS (an expensive machine - macbook Pro 2.4ghz) I now find that the damn thing crashing reliably every single time I export an animation, and the batch export workaround doesn't work for me.

Thus far, I have not been able to successfully render out my 2 minute animation of happy land. It's taken me a long time to make the switch, download a cut-down version of the software, and now that I've got it, it's proving to be useless.

Is it so hard?

I abhor Smith-Micro for thinking they were doing me a favour by giving me a free version of AS for Mac, when in fact the thing doesn't even work. It's criminal too that they offer the software up for sale when it's broken to begin with.

I sympathize with those who have bought the Mac OS X version and have it not work with exporting.

I do, however, admire the community surrounding this otherwise awesome little piece of software, who in essence do the job of support and public relations for Smith-Micro at no cost to the company.

A class action lawsuit might stop the money grabbers from selling faulty software.

*** edit ***

i can use the batch export. just need to set the project settings to start at frame 1 and not 0. Seems to solve the problem.

I'm not so bitter anymore.
Nolan Scott

Post by Nolan Scott »

Using Anime Studio Pro Version 5.5 Build 20070601p / OSX 10.4.11 / iMac G5 Intel

Well, works fine here (rarely the odd crash).
Serious stuff I render anyway to Image-Sequence - If I would have a crash...
I can easily start again where I left off, no big deal really.
So far even render to Quicktime (7.3.1) works without a problem.
Well, I hardly render single projects larger than 1000 frames / no Soundtracks / and I start always with frame 1 / Batch Export if necessary.

Cheers
Nolan
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Thanks.

I put the project and saved it to start on frame 1 instead of 0.

The batch export works fine now. Previously, it would render, but no movie file would be created. And I tried exporting my animation 10 times with the normal export animation, all of which crashed the program.

I was pulling my hair out.

So, batch export works fine for me, and I'm MUCH happier.

Software. Drives me nuts when it doesn't work.

So, Moho and AS are in my good books again.

Thanks,

Mike
CoffeeStained

Post by CoffeeStained »

Mikdog wrote:Happy New Year!I abhor Smith-Micro for thinking they were doing me a favour by giving me a free version of AS for Mac[...]
'Scuse me what now? I'm also making the switch to Mac, where did you get the free version. I e-mailed e-frontier about a crossgrade (I have Pro for the PC) but their own form bounced the e-mail.
I've got a ton of e-frontier stuff I need to switch, Manga Studio, Poser 7, Virtual Fashion, Shade 7...
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Most companies that sell versions for different OS's don't offer "side grades". Developing a program for two different operating systems requires more effort. They need to get that investment in resources back.

If they did it once under special circumstances in Mikdog's case it doesn't mean anyone can just switch platforms and expect a new version. It seems a bit unfair but I had this same argument for years with Macromedia and their products. They never budged.

I would suggest you need to contact Smith Micro. If word gets out they are handing out "free versions" they may discontinue this practice completely for any reason.

When you switch platforms one of the costs is buying new software. An associate of mine had to buy ALL new software from Adobe when he switched to PC from the Mac.

-vern
CoffeeStained

Post by CoffeeStained »

Sorry, side-grade is the term I meant, but e frontier offers a lot of cross-grades, discounts on software for owning a different program of theirs. So I have two side-grades I can do.

I looked at the Smith Micro site, frankly a little worried. They don't seem to have the creative direction e frontier has. I've never had a problem with e frontier, and have never dealt with SM. Is SM just absorbing the e frontier team or are they buying the product off of them?
*EDIT*Nevermind, I utilised the information superhighway to find out. Thanks.
kirkmona

Post by kirkmona »

Hello all,

I'm having the same problem on a new Intel based Mac running 10.5. It is pretty poor of them to sell a non-functional product to customers. If you look at the e-frontier website they claim they are aware of no problems with Anime Studio in 10.5.

If I didn't want to export my work I could have stuck with the demo version and saved myself money. I do want to export though so if it can't do that what did I just pay for?

How do you do a batch export? Is that the pro version only? I don't see that as an option.

~Kirk
kirkmona

Post by kirkmona »

An interesting update,

If I delete my vector based background, the export works and does not crash. Now why would that be? Again, it isn't all that complex a background.

~Kirk
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Mikdog wrote: it would render, but no movie file would be created. And I tried exporting my animation 10 times with the normal export animation, all of which crashed the program.
Mike,

the big renders to movie also fail on PC's - the tests I did in Thailand suggest this is due to AS not releasing the buffer on each new frame. The heap growns unti the memory tops out. Bye bye avi/movie file.

I got around this by only rendering images and in shorter sequences. Recompiling in Combustion or NLE is easy and the results are often better as the conversion is only done once.

For anyone with render crashes, try rendering png sequences - for me and my way of working, I found the solution faster and more elegant. If errors in the animation id occur, I can now correct just frames 100-175 and render only those again, overwriting the original 'bad' images.

Hope this helps.

Rhoel.
jwlane

QT render issues

Post by jwlane »

There is a lot of fur flying in Apple's Quicktime user postings. Several posts complain about Apple deleting applicable user posting concerning this problem. One that survived was in agreement with what seemed immediately obvious to me. This render failure (which is happening in multiple applications - see Adobe's AE forum) coincided with the QT update that accompanied new movie commerce at iTunes. It looks like a DRM strategy.

If you have QT Pro, simply assemble sequential files with it to make movie files. As other posters have stated at this forum, rendering sequential PNG, TIFF, etc, carries a lot more insurance for meeting deadlines.

I wish Apple would make a separate version of QT for their movie rental/sales business, and not hamstring HONEST content creators like us.