motion blur

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

REELFUNNY

motion blur

Post by REELFUNNY »

hello everyone...

does anyone know why, when i double-click a layer and turn on motion blur, it doesn't do anything? i've tried adjusting all the pertinent parameters, but can't get it to do anything. when the layer animates, it looks just like it does anytime.

thanks
marcotronic

Post by marcotronic »

Hi,

just a stupid question: Did you render your animation or did you expect the motion blur to be visible in your standard viewport?

Marco
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

You must render or export the animation. Preview will not display motion blur.

A good rule of thumb with AS... if you can't see it in preview, then render or export. Many effects are only shown when rendered.

-vern
REELFUNNY

motion blur

Post by REELFUNNY »

thanks, i tried exporting and it worked, but is there any way to edit and get it the way you want before export? otherwise, i can't tell how it's going to come out
marcotronic

Re: motion blur

Post by marcotronic »

REELFUNNY wrote:thanks, i tried exporting and it worked, but is there any way to edit and get it the way you want before export? otherwise, i can't tell how it's going to come out
no, unfortunately not. Things like motion blur take a certain time to compute and AS isn´t capable of showing them in realtime. What you can do, though, is export a limited number of frames (frame x to x) to check for the desired result. So you wouldn´t have to render the whole animation and could check if for example your motion blur settings are okay...

marco
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Motion blur in AS is pretty "simple"... simple in what it does. If you look at the settings you can sort of figure out what it is doing. It's is basically rendering a certain number of frames with a gradual transparency before or after each frame based on motion and fps.

It isn't "true" motion blur.

I use it for stills mostly. ;)

-vern
Mohlar

Re: motion blur

Post by Mohlar »

marcotronic wrote:What you can do, though, is export a limited number of frames (frame x to x) to check for the desired result. So you wouldn´t have to render the whole animation
That's a very useful tip. I made the same assumption as Reelfunny (great name, by the way). I think a lot of people coming to AS without a background in computer animation would also assume that 'preview' shows you what you will actually see with all the movement and image effects visible.

It's a shame there isn't a 'limited preview render' option which could preview just a section of the animation in the same way as happens when you export. Even if this option was restricted to, say, 1 or 2 seconds-worth of movie or a maximum number of frames, it would be VERY useful.
Once, I saw myself in a mirror.
Or did I?
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

You can of course set the start and end frames of your exported animation!

Say start frame 100 to end freame 148 for a 48 frame 'preview' section. Is that what you mean?