Anime Studio: The Efrontier Official Guide - any news?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mohlar

Anime Studio: The Efrontier Official Guide - any news?

Post by Mohlar »

Just wondering if anyone 'on the inside' knows if and when this book is due for publication. The Amazon website seems to suggest October 18th. Anyone know? And will it be worth buying ...... time will tell. But at least it might overcome the lack of an in-program text-based help file.

http://www.amazon.com/Anime-Studio-eFro ... 402&sr=1-1
Once, I saw myself in a mirror.
Or did I?
Johnny

Re: Anime Studio: The Efrontier Official Guide - any news?

Post by Johnny »

Mohlar wrote: But at least it might overcome the lack of an in-program text-based help file.
Kinda lame to charge for the first decent form of documentation for this program. I mean, aside from the Tutorials - but I'm also a believer in full immersion education. ;)

-Johnny
VidE

Post by VidE »

The publication for Poser by the same author as this new ASPro manual, felt as though I was reading through a slightly better written version of the user manual. Less info, a little more 'user friendly'. Otherwise, not really very good.

Unlike Denise Tyler's book, "Practical Poser", which had the feel and info of someone who really loved and deeply understood both the program and the kinds of issues people could stumble over, Kelly Murdochs' book seemed to be written by a tech writer hired by the company, not a dedicated user of the program.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting much.

'Operating' AS Pro doesn't seem that difficult, (minus a somewhat atypical interface.) It's in applying it to the actual demands of the art and story-the different ways to turn a head, to create a walk, to stylize a figure, etc., etc. Those are the challenges that the experiences of the old pros on this forum seem to understand... And I'm not sure if Kelly Murdochs' depth of experience with ASPro will be up to those tasks.

I do seem to remember someone, Heyvern maybe, talking about writing up a manual. Now THAT I would be interested in!
human

Post by human »

VidE wrote:I do seem to remember someone, Heyvern maybe, talking about writing up a manual. Now THAT I would be interested in!
Yeah, let's hope so.
VidE

Post by VidE »

After my somewhat negative approach to Kelly Murdoch's Poser work, I looked at the Moho User manual and have to admit that if Kelly can
're-organize' the info into a different format, it might help some people a lot.

I have found myself hitting a problem in AS Pro, going to Mike's manual, and getting frustrated at trying to extract the needed info. While I still hugely hope that a truly skilled and dedicated user of AS Pro will share their knowledge in book form, (e-book, .pdf, whatever), Murdochs' tome might come in truly useful. Pulling info from the forums is incredibly helpful, but a little disconnected.

It's one thing, for example, to know how to switch layers. Entirely another to have someone map out the functional/creative uses that it can be put to.

So Genete, Selgin, Heyvern, Mooncaine, Fahim, and all the other incredibly helpful talents out there - here's a great opportunity to become a published author! Go beyond forum writing. Make BIG money. (Yeah, right.) And to let AS Pro dominate even more of your life !

Heh, Heh, Heh...
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I wrote my book out line! I have been sort of popping stuff into when I get a chance.

Instructional books like this are HARD TO WRITE. They are very difficult. One of my cousins I met at my family reunion recently is a technical writer. She writes software manuals... I will pick her brains for tips.

My out line is broken down roughly into into 3 sections:

Getting Started
The Basics
Advanced Techniques

Each section is the same... same topics, same sub categories. the difference is that each section will expand on the previous one.

So all the topics in Getting Started will just be dry technical explanations of the tools and menus

The Basics will be simple basic use and descriptions of the tools and menus... drawing techniques... layers... etc.

Advanced Techniques will expand further on most of those same sections and include things that will absolutely require a solid knowledge of the basic tools. If you read Advanced Techniques and don't know how to bind points or drag layers into groups... read the first sections again. ;)

The hardest part is deciding exactly what is "beginner" and what is "advanced". I have so many "odd" tips and tricks and I couldn't figure out where to put a lot of those. Some are very easy and useful, others are strange and a bit complicated for a new user.

No promises on this. No way I can get this done anytime soon. I keep plugging away at it. This is a TON OF WORK. Each section must be "tested". If I explain how to do something I have to "follow those steps" myself to make sure they work as written. It's a lot of back and forth. I'm amazed at how much I "forget" when the program isn't open in front of me.

I can tell you that writing software manuals isn't going to make you rich unless it's for like... Photoshop or MS Windows. ;)

-vern
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Here's my outline if anyone is interested:

Code: Select all

Advanced Anime Studio Pro

About this book
	About Anime Studio
	Anime Studio vs. Anime Studio Pro
	Custom tools
		Why should I use custom tools?
		Installing custom tools
Getting Started:
	Project Settings
		Presets
		3D camera
	Menu overview
		File
		Edit
		Draw
		Bone
		Animation
		Scripts
		View
		Window
	Tools overview
		Draw
			Fill (Shapes)
		Bone
		Layer
		Camera
	Layers
		Vector
			Fill and Shapes
		Group
		Bone
		Switch
		Particle
		3D
		Note
The Basics
	Layers
		Layer Types
			Vector
				Fill and Shapes
				Resolution
				Formats
				Transparency
			Group
			Bone
			Switch
			Particle
			3D
			Note
		Layer properties tabs
			General tab
				Compositing effects
				Options
				Layer blending
			Shadows tab
				Layer Shadow
				Layer Shading
			Motion blur tab
			Masking tab (Covered in advanced section)
			Depth sort tab (Covered in advanced section)
			Layer type specific properties tab
				Bones
				Vector
				Switch
				Particle
	Basic Drawing Techniques
		Creating meshes/shapes
		Peak/Smooth and The Curve tool
		Importing and clean up of EPS/AI files
			What's the "point"?
		Masking
	Bones
		Basic Bones
	Scripting
		Overview
			Why use scripts?
			How to use scripts
				Lua programming language
				Types of scripts
					Tool scripts
					Button scripts
					Layer scripts
					Menu scripts
				Internet Resources
	Crazy Stuff
		Layers
		Vector
		Bones
		Masking
Advanced Techniques
	Advanced Layers
		Layer ordering using z depth/translation
		Layer ordering using a script
		Layers and Masking
			What you see isn't what you get
	Advanced Vector - Meshes and Shapes
		Connect the dots (complex meshes)
		Complex fills (shapes)
	Advanced Bones
		Parent/child relationship
		Flexible vs. Region bone binding
		Layer Binding
		Point Binding
		Bone Strength
		Bone Offset
		Constraints
			Angle
			Angle Control
			Position Control
			Scale Control
			Dynamics
		Advanced bone rigs
			Complex Constraints
			Script control
			3D rigs
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I have written a couple of manuals for bespoke software that I was invoved in. It is anything but easy! I had to produce the screens (no dumps DEC/VAX), and a blow by blow account for each menu item etc. Took a while (years ago now).

I think your outline looks OK so far. The idea of following the steps yourself is not the best way to go about it IMHO. With the best will in the world, it is hard to criticise your own work. You would be better getting one of the newer members to see if they can produce what the finished result should be from your description, that way you could be fairly confident that it works :)

If I can help you in any way, just ask. I am not looking for any recognition, it is your book, I'm just offering to help out someone who has been so helpful to so many on this forum. I am sure that loads of other members would like to help too - it really isn't a one man job.

Best wishes in your endeavour
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The idea of following the steps yourself is not the best way to go about it IMHO.
Ha ha!

I agree totally. The problem is I have to start somewhere! I have a couple of friends who own ASP. They are basically "new users". I may get them to help test my steps.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

3Drigs LOL! You included it!
Only one remark: I wouldn't include scripting until the Advanced section. Although you like it very much it should be explained only for advanced users. Also IMHO bone offset and layer binding must be basic and not advanced (if not, how could you explain how to create a puppet style animation without explain bone offset or layer binding?)

My more sincere wishes for a good end of the project. It would be a VERY hard journey.

(If you need a collaborator we can agree the terms and conditions... - it is not a joke)

Cheers!
-G
VidE

Post by VidE »

Heyvern; first of all I'm very pleased to hear you are still doing this. And I appreciate the difficulties...

A couple of thoughts. You could 'organize' your book into the categories you have- tools, menus, etc. And/or you could pretend to be a new user who wants to do "The Big Project", i.e. a walking, talking character; right off the bat. Peel back the project to its basics and use it as a way of introducing the tools and skills as they are needed. Not too disimilar to the user manual that comes with the program but more thorough and detailed.

Another thought. I don't know if you've ever used Adobe After Effects, but one of my favorite all-time software manuals is the 'Creating Motion Graphics' books by Chris & Trish Meyer. I realize that example may be a tad more ambitious than what you have in mind, but they way they organized the lessons, the side tips, etc., might be a good place to get some ideas.

One last thought. Because 2d animation offers challenges (such as head turns, hiding arms on a turn, creating perspective), as well as the freedom to do totally loony stuff; referring to other artists' unique styles and approaches, with technical sidebars, you could add some interesting stuff. Before you groan at all that additional work, I was thinking you could reach out to some of the other Moho Forum oldsters, and have THEM write their own sidebars.

And finally, while I've spent years with video and motion graphics software, I'm very new to both 2d animation and AS Pro. If I can help, please let me know.

OK, I'll stop now.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I was planning on having SIMPLE sample files for demonstration purposes... screen grabs etc. Sample files would be needed especially for the advanced techniques.

And of course I have a ton of those on my website already.

Simple files... that only demonstrate the specific topic so that there isn't other confusing elements that distract. I love those kinds of files. Many times you have a sample file that has a bunch of other things in it that aren't part of what you want to learn and it is just plain confusing. Plus this will cut down on the work required.

If and when this project gets completed I plan to self publish on Lulu.com as both a print book and a PDF download book. I can also place a download along with it or an optional CD purchase so all the sample files can be reviewed. I love Lulu. They make it so simple.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

Heyvern!
You forgot actions in your outline!
-G
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Thanks Genete!

Actions will be in there. I didn't start using actions very much until recently so they kind of slipped my mind. :oops:

I have to figure out where to put them in the outline.

-vern
human

Post by human »

VidE wrote:...you could pretend to be a new user who wants to do "The Big Project", i.e. a walking, talking character; right off the bat. Peel back the project to its basics and use it as a way of introducing the tools and skills as they are needed.
Yes.

Long, long ago, professional software trainers began to insist that documentation needs to be organized around user goals, not around the particular features of a software product.

The idea is really pretty simple: goals, not tools.

I used to write software manuals myself, and I recall it all very well.

Although there are some exceptions, software vendors, over all these years, never "got it." They're software people, after all. They LIKE software. They're also proud of their accomplishments and almost seem to co-opt documentation as a showcase for their achievements. Besides, it's easier, faster, and cheaper to just throw together a little tour of what makes one's products so terrific.

In the long run, any company's best interests are better served by a real commitment to solving the customer's problems.

User-centered documentation isn't the whole story to that, but it is key.