Tutorial 1.2 --- Render not showing

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mohlar

Tutorial 1.2 --- Render not showing

Post by Mohlar »

Must be me, but for the life of me I can't see where I'm going wrong with Tutorial 1.2

I've been through it five times. Everything is fine up to File/Render. The small window duly opens to show the correctly rendered gradient hill - nicely green into brown. I close the window and ..... nothing happens to the actual shape. The drawn hills stay resolutely monocolour. I can get solid brown or checkerboard brown - but never the green/brown gradient

Somewhere I'm missing something, even though I'm following instructions word for word.
Any hints? Has anyone else had this experience or is it just me?

(Yes, I thought so!)
Once, I saw myself in a mirror.
Or did I?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

maybe you don't understand the render concept in AS.
when you render, you'll see how your animation will look when you export it.
you render just the current frame, and you can save it as an image or copy it.

in the main window you will never see any shape or layer effect, but this doesn't mean that they don't be there.

if you render, and your drawings looks good, you are on right way.
marcotronic

Post by marcotronic »

Hello,

I think you´ve just misunderstood the concept. The rendered version ONLY shows in the rendering window - never in the normal viewport (that means you will see a gradient only in the render window)

I guess you thought that once you´ve rendered the graphics they will show in a rendered version in the working viewport - but they don´t :wink:

Hope I could help you.

Marco

edit: Upppsss... I was too slow, selgin answered at the same time :)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

sorry marco, crossed replies. :wink:
Mohlar

Post by Mohlar »

marcotronic wrote:I guess you thought that once you´ve rendered the graphics they will show in a rendered version in the working viewport - but they don´t
Yes. I assumed that once rendered, the viewport window would change to reflect the final image.

Does this mean that you can never see the form of your final movie/cartoon until you finally render it to avi or Quicktime? That does seem like a very strange way to work.
Or did I?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Mohlar wrote:Does this mean that you can never see the form of your final movie/cartoon until you finally render it to avi or Quicktime? That does seem like a very strange way to work.
it's not so weird most of the time. actually, there is only one thing that i don't like to see well just after exporting: dynamic bones.
dynamic bones are just crazy in preview window. it's not much useful.
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I don't know of any package, 3d or 2d, that shows the final render in the viewport window. I use Cinema 4D, and it uses OpenGl rendering for the viewport, great if you have a fast machine, but it can slow things down to a crawl on slower machines. OpenGL is just a rough idea of what the final render will look like. Some renders can take several hours.

You can do a quick render of the frame you are working on to make sure that the effects are as you want them, only takes a second (Ctrl R). There is also a display quality setting at the bottom right of the main window, and you can play around with the settings there (anti-aliasing etc), makes the lines look a lot better. Hope this helps :)
Mohlar

Post by Mohlar »

Thanks for those comments and the speed with which you posted them - I'll just bash on with tutorial 1.2 then and see what follows.
Or did I?