Upcoming update

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

F.M.

Post by F.M. »

It's been a couple of months since they gave any news of the upcomlng version of Moho/AS, and I am wondering if eFrontier has messed this release up.
"and then Man created god!"
dazza101

Post by dazza101 »

F.M. wrote:It's been a couple of months since they gave any news of the upcomlng version of Moho/AS, and I am wondering if eFrontier has messed this release up.
...or maybe they just forgot about us... :(
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

dazza101 wrote:
F.M. wrote:It's been a couple of months since they gave any news of the upcomlng version of Moho/AS, and I am wondering if eFrontier has messed this release up.
...or maybe they're busy adding more features to the upcoming version... :)

OK, that's probably a little too optimistic, but who knows. Anime Studio's competitors are continually improving, so something has to happen soon or Anime Studio is going to die.
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

Rudiger wrote:Anime Studio's competitors are continually improving, so something has to happen soon or Anime Studio is going to die.
That's a pretty strong statement. If you know something the rest of us don't, please share. We've all heard that Adobe says they're gonna implement bones into the next release of Flash, but that may be pie-in-the-sky right now. Even if they do, will it have all the existing functionality of ASP?

And the puppet tool in After Effects looks cool, but is that feature alone gonna push ASP aside? My guess is.."No".

Granted there are some Open Source alternatives, but are they serious competitors?
dazza101

Post by dazza101 »

Rudiger wrote:
dazza101 wrote:
...or maybe they're busy adding more features to the upcoming version... :)

OK, that's probably a little too optimistic, but who knows. Anime Studio's competitors are continually improving, so something has to happen soon or Anime Studio is going to die.
I'm all for hoping, but with the complete lack of apparent attention being paid to AS by e-frontier, I'm not holding out much hope. Which I just don't understand. They have a great program that they could easily develop into a killer app, yet they seem pre-occupied by half-baked updates to Poser (pro). I just don't get it...
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I have not discussed AS updates but I have emailed Mike Clifton about my scripting experiments and recieved response back... the last I got was just a few days ago about my "text drawing" and bone coloring script for adding new features.

Not once has there been any indication that there is any "bad" news about AS. Of course on the surface this means very little but still it seems positive to me.

My gut feeling is that possibly efrontier decided to hold off on the "small" update and put "everything" in a new version update which will obviously take longer. This is wild speculation on my part.

AS is NOT going to disappear. 2D animation programs are coming into their own lately. New ones have been popping up. Having AS as part of their product package is a good thing for efrontier. Based on what appears to be a ton of new users on the forum I like to think it is selling.

AS has the advantage of a solid bone system and very cool vectors, no not like Flash or AI but that is what makes them work so well. It also has the wonderful scripting which allows someone like me to create my OWN new features.

-------------

In the past two weeks I created bone flipping for symmetrical rigs. I have new mirror bone translation tool almost completed. I created a "batch" selected bones renamer. My latest improvement is going to be cool as heck!

I originally just wanted to be able to colorize bones, but a side benefit of this will be BONE GROUPING!!!! I plan to expand this script so you can create bone groups just like point groups. You will select a group of bones and give the group a name and select a color for the group. This means you can select a specific group of bones by selecting from a drop down menu.

I doubt very much that all of the features I want are going to be in a new version of AS. You can see why... wondering about a "new" version is not making me lose sleep. I enjoy creating my own features. ;)

-vern
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

We enjoy you making new features too! :)
however - there are some things in the program you can't touch with scripts and its a shame that the minor update announced hasn't been released OR a statment made by e frontier to ease the apparent growing anxiety on the forums...

i think people would be more understanding if we had facts instead of speculation even if the fact is we're going to have to wait. :P
jhbmw007

Post by jhbmw007 »

HeyVern,

That bone grouping script scounds like it would save me loads of time. Any idea when it might be finished? Thanks for all the work you do!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I'll keep you posted in the thread in the scripting forum. Once I have something for testing I will post it to see how it works for everyone and move on from there.

The big issue is modifying ALL the tools. All of them <sigh> so they work together.

It's coming along nicely and I hope to have it done by... uh... considering the discussion in this thread I wont't make any specific promises of a date. ;)

-vern