Particle layers plays always the same?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Genete

Particle layers plays always the same?

Post by Genete »

I know that there is a button to randomize the particle generation. It can be found if you're over a particle layer and go to the options that appears under the menu of the main window.

But I'm wondering what happen if:
1) I need to render partial sections of the animation for its huge size or time.
2) I have a particle layer setted on at the beggining of the animation and still alive since the end.

Then if for example my first partial render goes from frame 1 to 1000 and my second one goes from 1001 to 2000, would the particles of frames 1000 and 1001 consistent? Does it means that AS recalculate the particles form the beggining of the animation for each partial render it does?

If so, then it would be worse to divide the animation in partial sections if there is a problem of time or size due to the amount of calculations needed when a partial section of the file is rendered. That's one of the reasons that make not vey handy, work with particles what lives during a long shot. I've experimented delays of 4 or five seconds to move from one frame to other when the animation is 1500 frames or so and particles are alive. Also save the file at frame 1000 takes longer than save the file at frame 0.

It would be a good tip to reduce particles to 1 or 2 in edition mode and only at final render set them to the final value.
-G
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I doubt that you can split any scene with particle animation and not get visible jumps.

Three possible workarounds:
1. Try to cut your segments in a way that the whole particle animation is in one segment.
2. Render just the particle animation first (with an alpha channel), split segments, render everything else and do the compositing in another program.
3. Cut the segments in a way that you have an overlap of about half a second. This way you could crossfade the particle animation. Given the look of most parrticle effects, this should be fairly invisible.
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

I don't think that there is a problem. AS calculates the position of every particle, as was it played from the beginning. Frame 1001 will always look the same, and always follow frame 1000 perfectly.

Any extra time should not be experienced when rendering from frame 1001 (except for the first frame), as it calculates from the previous frame each time. There is only a delay in working with particles when you make a great jump in the timeline.