Professional or experimental/hobby?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Guto

Professional or experimental/hobby?

Post by Guto »

Hi everyone,
Im working with AS for a year now.
I wold like to know if anyone are using AS for a professional TV series.
Actualy Im wondering if there is more people using it as a professional toll (like GreyKid), or more like experimental/hobby toll.

Tanks
toonertime

me be a nuby

Post by toonertime »

i am just getting into animation and plan to use it
in unconventional stuff for unconventional people

my walks don't cycle, in other words
and my lips don't sync.

loose lips to sink ships, however
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

i'm a hobbyist who play with multimedia, and i do drawing, sketching and animating a lot in my spare time. it's like a second job, except there's no pay, though i really enjoy it a lot
slice11217

Post by slice11217 »

I have used Anime Studio professionally, both for video and for film. Worked great! The both clients loved the end result.

S
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Professional. Right now I'm working on a series, with 2 other animators.
Guto

Post by Guto »

slowtiger wrote:Professional. Right now I'm working on a series, with 2 other animators.
Great slowtiger!
2 more questions:

You are using only AS for the animation or combining other softwares? (only animation, not BG, props, stboards etc...)

How did you manage to work with share acets in a network? (organizing the production. model packs etc...)

Thanks
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Professional. Used it for a TV series before, now using it again on another series.

Using only AS thus far. Might need to use some other software to join bits and pieces together, but so far AS seems to work pretty well, as long as you plan correctly.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

(Please understand that I have to be a bit vague because it's a running production.)

We use AS for all animation and most of the SFX (particles can be great if done by somebody with the right skills). One artist does build all characters with complete rigging, so the structure of all characters is identical. They are kept in one file per character which contains all views, as bone levels properly named on the top level so they can easily be imported. BGs are done separately. Most compositing is done in AS.

As for sharing assets, it is planned that we animators build our own "library" while creating scenes. One person is responsible for keeping track of all movements in all scenes, we can look up a character in a list and search for a movement.
ingie01

Post by ingie01 »

slowtiger, thanks for your input - it was very helpful to me. Vagueness here is of no importance. You provided a good basic direction that I haven't read here before. (considering I'm a lurker read complete novice)
You'll know when you get there! My Dad
cribble

Post by cribble »

I like to think i'm using it professionally. But really, i'm going through a stage of experimenting and grasping grips etc. I've had a few clients in the past, who loved the end result.
--Scott
cribble.net
Guto

Post by Guto »

Tanks slowtiger,
So I m not alone... Great.
We are working in a small serie (12ep.X 8min) with a small crew in AS. The thing is that this software can lower a lot the cost of production (comparing with Solo and Flash). But as I understand, needs to be very organized.
To work in a bigger production maybe we shoud think in others solutions, once that is hard to find good animators that know how to work in AS.

Thanks again
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Pro user. Working on shorts and series.

Currently using AS in HD mode, no problems so far re-quality of line etc.

Rhoel.
Postality

Post by Postality »

I use Anime Studio for professional work, however unlike others I use it for Graphics and animations for my up-coming game.

Everything in it will have been created in AS (graphic-wise anyway, including animations).

I will be posting a demo type sample here to show off some of what I have created and programmed into it.

It's a PC game so everyone here will be able to enjoy it, try it, and of course purchase it when it's completed if interested.

The price has not yet been set but it will be anywhere from $10 - $25 with free updates for every minor update 1.xx.xx etc.
Anime Studio - Ultimate Game Graphics
JCook

Post by JCook »

Professional. I do scientific illustration and animation for a large oceanographic research facility. I use ASPro for 3D animation and Cinema 4D for 3D animation. Sometimes an animation will use scenes from each program, sometimes it'll be only 2D or only 3D. I use other programs to support this, such as Illustrator and Photoshop, ArtRage, and Celtx for storyboarding. And I usually composite my scenes using the free video editor HyperEngine-AV (although it often crashes), or iMovie. I do my work on Macs.

Jack