Art Lozzi Color Style On ASP5

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

human

Post by human »

I've previously seen the blogger who's crazy about Lozzi.

As someone said in these forums on another occasion, color taste is a personal thing.

I agree with those of you who can't believe Vern's fluency with AS.

Quick AND good--it's amazing!

What I'd like to add, tho, is choosing between Lozzi colors and Vern colors, I prefer Vern's.

I find Lozzi's colors a little cloying.

(Reminds me of Formica (R) and Cheeze Whizz (R).)
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

The leaf render of funksmaname looks like a trace of sponge effect in it, too.

Though the bushes need more work. I'll try and see if I can mod the bush.
Last edited by dlangdev on Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

formica? that sounds too fifties, isn't it?
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Vern, I noticed in your composition...

1) Cool colors dominated the background

2) Warmy shaded colors dominated the foreground.

Did you intentionally chose those colors so as to make that effect? Aside from copying it verbatim.
human

Post by human »

Actually, if you like Lozzi, perhaps you'll also like Eyvind Earle, for example:

http://www.excellentvirtu.com/eyvind_ea ... beauty.htm

They have a similar way with texture and color, but Earle tends to exercise the full color gamut, giving his work a distinctive prismatic quality. He seems to introduce only enough smoke into his tones to keep them from becoming garish (and not always succeeding at that).

I find Earle also makes me think of acrylic pigments, Atomic Age thinking, and Naugahyde surroundings.

But it's sort of breathtaking the way he can splash rose, salmon, buttercream, kelly green, deep teal, and lavender in the same scene and get by with it just fine.

Moreover, he was an ardent fractalist long, long before fractals were kool. Oh man, was he ever.

Note well, tho: his works do not reproduce worth a damn. To see his paintings in real life is cause for joy.

(If Earle and Lozzi are great exponents of "Colour Is Your Friend, Go For It," then the great colorists of this forum--bakenius and funksmaname--are masters of "Colour Is a Spice, Use The Force Wisely.")
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

I have a few bits of knowledge in basic color, that may be the reason why Art Lozzy is easy to comprehend.

But those who use advanced or unorthodox color schemes seem to confuse me as to what the message the artist is trying to say.

funk's color scheme has definitely loud reason, it resonates right away, which is really good.

Bakenius...I need to spend time seeing his work.

Of course, all these questions relate to understanding the artist and his/her work, which is more like of attribution.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Nice Vern. You nailed that well.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Thanks.

The main reason I did this was to demonstrate that nearly ANYTHING can be done with AS. You don't HAVE to use an image program if you don't want to. The choice is up to the individual... there is no "right" or "wrong" way to do it.

I am still working on a short that involves a bunch of backgrounds and sets. I could have used the already completed raster image scans... but I was frustrated by the lack of flexibility due to resolution so I have redrawn them all in Moho/ASP.

Now when I decide I need to expand the background or add in a close up I don't have to redo the backgrounds to avoid pixelation or blurring of the images.

It is much easier to extend a "grocery store aisle" in an AS background, right before starting a final render than to have to open it in Photoshop, resize it, resave it, reimport it into AS, reposition it... etc.

I have also found that getting the best results using raster backgrounds, extra smooth images is required in the final render. In many cases the trade off in time for rendering is not that much compared to AS only backgrounds with effects.

Like I said, no wrong or right way... just keeping your options open.

-vern
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

sorry for the late reply.

here is the first attempt...using PS.

dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

also added a test character...