Wacom Pen, Freehand Tool, Number of Points -- Discuss

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dlangdev

Wacom Pen, Freehand Tool, Number of Points -- Discuss

Post by dlangdev »

I recently noticed while tracing using the Freehand Tool the following:

1) Setting auto-close is nice, I don't have to target the start in order to close, pretty neat feature.

2) The shape get traced really well, though the points seem to be too many

Now, it seems that I need to trim down the number of points per shape, how would I do that using the Freehand Options dialog box?

Thanks.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

compare that to this ....

... point-by-point drawing.

http://begonza.com/animation/aspro/aswi ... 26.01.anme

myles

Re: Wacom Pen, Freehand Tool, Number of Points -- Discuss

Post by myles »

dlangdev wrote:Now, it seems that I need to trim down the number of points per shape, how would I do that using the Freehand Options dialog box?
Increase the Pixel Tolerance to put down less points per mouse/pen movement. Increase the Angle Tolerance so the mouse/pen can move off the straight line more before a point is put down.

A value of about 20 in both is comfortable while still remaining fairly accurate. I like using a value of about 30 in both but this tends to over-simplify some shapes.

For reducing the points after drawing, if you're using AS Pro, use Brian/7feet's point reduction script.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

i remember starting at 20 before setting it to 1, somehow the dropdown didn't like it and set it to 2 instead.

anyway, i'll try setting the number higher and see how it behaves.

i'll also try the script you mentioned.

thanks for helping, i owe you one.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

tbh... i prefer the point-by-point version :) it would be easier to animate too...
i tried the point removal script - its pretty good! but it doesnt get rid of the poiints, it selects them so you can delete them yourself if you're happy with its selection :P

Also you could easily give the mane more volume just by manually adding and dragging out mid points between each to make them curved...
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

and it seems that ASP5 dictates a certain drawing style over another, if file size is going to be used as metric.

the two sample files show significant size difference too.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

ok, i think the conclusion for me is becoming clear.

it might mean point-by-point drawing is the clearly the cleanest approach, as seen from the two files. though the trick for me in order to make this work is to draw first on paper, scan it over, and lay out the points with auto-fill set to off.

the result is a un-filled shape defined by points.

from there, i can use the define shape tool to fill the shape with colors. or perhaps set the shape order as well.
myles

Post by myles »

dlangdev wrote:it might mean point-by-point drawing is the clearly the cleanest approach, as seen from the two files. though the trick for me in order to make this work is to draw first on paper, scan it over, and lay out the points with auto-fill set to off.

the result is a un-filled shape defined by points.

from there, i can use the define shape tool to fill the shape with colors. or perhaps set the shape order as well.
I think this is a very effective way of drawing in Anime Studio, although you must keep in mind what needs to be animated when laying out the points.

Import the image as an image layer rather than as a tracing layer and you have more control.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx