To whom it may concern...

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

To whom it may concern...

Post by heyvern »

Apparently if you get a defective download from efrontier you have TO PAY FOR A NEW DOWNLOAD.

I can't believe this.

I have a copy of ASP for Mac that I had not installed believing my system wouldn't be able to run it.

I tried installing it and assumed the error was due to my system NOT A CORRUPTED DOWNLOAD.

Now the 30 days have passed and efrontier wants $15 dollars to download it again!?!?!?!?!?

I have never heard of such a thing before.

this is just crazy...

Great way to make money.

-vern
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Hmm, I've never heard of such a thing before. And yes, that is crazy.

What do you plan to do? $15 don't sound like much but the whole point of it is frustrating, I'm sure.

I miss the days of "Moho" but I'm still looking to see what efrontier does with this animation tool. This next update will give us an idea, if it ever gets released.
DK

Post by DK »

Vern. I really feel for you mate. Can anyone at EF give you justification for the $15 fee. Are there administration costs or else for setting up the download?
It's a bit hard to take on the chin especially when it's someone who is driving the development of AS at their own expense with scripts, help, administration etc. Now Fahim's left the most valuable members of the forum are back at the starting gates along with everyone else when it comes to a matter like this I guess. No favours till we prove our worth.

D.K
myles

Post by myles »

Ouch!

Is that the reply from contacting efrontier support directly?

Hmm, given you have a valid serial number, I wonder what the difference is between the official download and downloading the trial version and unlocking it?

Can the trial version be unlocked these days, or do you need an official purchase download? Can you get the trial download without paying extra?

I hope this gets straightened out soon - your contributions are definitely worth way more to efrontier than the $15 and the associated grief.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

bummer.

looks like the version with the unlock dialog box could be your ticket.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

its coz they're trying to push their download pretection insurance when you first buy the software... i think its totally unethical! Its not like you need another box shipped.
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Heyvern,

I just checked my content paradise - i still have 10 downloads remaining?

Why are they asking this from you?

i have only one case of this - and that was with the free poser 7 upgrade.

hmm..
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

This was direct from customer support.

They told me you must buy the "download insurance".

What bugged me was that I DIDN'T KNOW I NEEDED TO DOWNLOAD AGAIN! For the whole stupid month I didn't bother to try downloading. It was a 100 mb download... how many times do you really want to go through that?

I assumed that the .dmg wouldn't mount because i didn't have Tiger. Sometimes this is true sometimes it isn't. The advice I found on the internet was to download the original file again to be sure it wasn't corrupted.

I explained that and they couldn't care less. I am not sure how many efrontier people besides Fahim actually read this forum. Maybe I should have been posting at efrontier... except their forum stinks. White text on a dark background, no categories... ick.

I WILL NOT PAY THE $15 EVER. Even if this means I never upgrade on the Mac to ASP. I refuse to pay that freaking stupid rip off. It's a total joke.

The link is the same dang link. It isn't like they have 5 bazillion copies of ASP on their server taking up space for each customer... that would be stupid... if they do... yikes... that is stupid.

You all know what a loyal supporter of AS I am. This was like a slap in the face.

-vern
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I'm with you on this.

There's a price for the software. Whoever pays this, gets this software. Point. If any item is going to be shipped, a reasonable shipping fee would be OK. But a download fee?

From the behaviour of the support I'd call this ransom. "Yes, you paid for your product, but we will not give it to you unless you pay more!" It is eFrontier's responsibility to keep their download server in working condition. It is the job of support to help if any problem occurs because of download issues.
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Hopefully when (or if?) the free point release update for AS appears, you will be able to re download it again.

Or. as dlangdev said, maybe downloading the trial and using your serial will suffice
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

eFrontier is in the business to make money. I have a feeling that anime studio is not the performer in sales that they had hope for when they bought it. One bypass to such nonsense (download insurance) is to find someone willing to post the zip file for download. This is not sharing software because it should be useless if you do not have a license.

Dale
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

All is well in the world. I got my installer.

No help from efrontier though. AT ALL!

After giving them a piece of my mind they pretty much told me to get stuffed.

All this hassle over $15?

You could say I should have just paid it since it was only $15. Well multiply that times a thousand customers and you have a pretty big chunk of change. Besides... I could spend $15 on more important things like groceries or... coffee. ;)

How many software companies don't have a "free" link to the software on their site?

And another thing that makes no sense... if I was able to find an "alternative" solution... so could anyone else for that matter... and they probably would rather than pay the extra $15. It is a motivation to be "dishonest".

I am very disappointed by this policy to say the least.

-vern
slice11217

Post by slice11217 »

[quote="heyvern"}And another thing that makes no sense... if I was able to find an "alternative" solution... so could anyone else for that matter... and they probably would rather than pay the extra $15. It is a motivation to be "dishonest".
-vern[/quote]

And therein lies the vicious circle of software marketing: the software companies (such as adobe, etc.) charge high prices to overcome the 'losses' due to software piracy, but the software itself is pirated due to the high prices!

-And the losses that the software company complains about really aren't losses because ultimately the piracy serves as a self-marketing campaign for the product! People use the product, learn the product, become attached to how it works, and ultimately don't want to use anything else.

I believe that there's actually more incentive to charge a low price for software than a higher price since lower prices would actually create more legal users of the software, therefore less need for expensive anti-piracy research and coding, but try explaining that to a corporate type!

I'm sorry I stirred this whole debacle up for you, Vern. But that said, I suppose you've enlightened everyone about this issue. I sure hope I backed up my installer!

Everyone be on the lookout in case Vern has a quiet disappearance from the forum at the hands of the e-frontier folks.... ;-)
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

i think software packages like AS need to pass through some sort of freebie product stage in order to spread like wildfire.

putting a price on it right away may have a dampening effect, preventing it from reaching a wider market.

i don't want to give-away information since i may get into trouble with my company. but just think about it and you'll probably see my point.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Everyone be on the lookout in case Vern has a quiet disappearance from the forum at the hands of the e-frontier folks....
That would be foolish.

I have no plans to let this experience have ANY effect on my love of the application or my POSITIVE contributions to the AS community. That is just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I don't expect them to change their entire policy, but since they were having server issues in the past, and the downloads are HUGE some leeway should be made for weird unusual situations like mine.

The reasons for my problems had nothing to do with the purpose of purchasing download insurance. I actually backed up my corrupted download to use later when I updated my system.

It was the unusual errors involving Apple's .dmg format (two different types of compression for developers for Panther .dmg and Tiger .dmg) that caused my own confusion. The .dmg LOOKED normal and launched the diskimagemounter but I got a strange error.

Apparently a Tiger ONLY .dmg when opened in Panther shows similar symptoms to a corrupted .dmg. There is no indication that a system version is the problem.

This issue regarding corrupted .dmg file downloads is... obscure but not unheard of. At least it seems to be better than it was in the past.

When a company encounters strange unexpected situations like this, some type of alternative to standard policy is expected.

For instance if you receive a broken or damaged disk when purchasing shrink wrapped software... or if the manual was missing from the box. They would not charge a customer to ship a new one.

-vern