Anime Studio vs Retas Pro

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

clay82es

Anime Studio vs Retas Pro

Post by clay82es »

In my opinion when I draw with AS I notice the vector are more heaviest in the interface, because it has more information with the resolution, but, for example when I use Retas Pro I can convert my vector layer in a raster layer like Photoshop or any draw app. And the same vector layer system in Stylos HD isn´t heaviest than vector system AS.

In the future AS can be combine the vector layers with the raster layers??

I don´t know if you understand my cuestion and I don´t know if you used Retas.

Retas Stylos HD
Draw_Girl

Post by Draw_Girl »

The interface reminds of photoshop,looks interesting,but if I remember correctly ,RETAS cost alot. :cry:
cribble

Post by cribble »

Yeah, it does look rather photoshoppy.

I think this is aimed more towards teams of traditional animators. I'm not entirely sure of it's inbetweening abilities, but it looks like you've got to do a lot more leg work.

And, yes, it does cost alotta. I think the pricing depends on how may units you want, and additional features (i think it's built around the teams needs). Not sure though. Not even sure if they've release a trail version. How are we suppose to know what we're getting here!!!
--Scott
cribble.net
Touched

Post by Touched »

If they don't have a demo, then I think you have to attend a guided demonstration of the software if you want to see what you're getting. I saw a Retas demo, once, at a con.
The400th

Post by The400th »

I think there might be some confusion here - Retas is by the same people who make Manga Studio*.

Anime Studio is written by a different company.

Therefore, it's not as easy a thing to add functionality from Retas into Anime Studio as it would be to add to Manga Studio.

*I think, anyway. CelSys, isn't it?
Manu

Post by Manu »

Actually, I downloaded the demo the other day. Haven't really had the chance to play around with it. I think it costs 980$.
Comparing it to Mo..Anime Studio is a bit of a nonsense. It's aimed at a completely different (and valid) way of working
myles

Re: Anime Studio vs Retas Pro

Post by myles »

clay82es wrote:for example when I use Retas Pro I can convert my vector layer in a raster layer like Photoshop or any draw app.
Well, I haven't used Retas (I'm just a hobbyist), but if you had a non-animating Anime Studio layer (background or prop) with a high density of vector points and curves you could certainly render it to a raster image (hide all the other layers first) in AS and import the raster image instead (I'd save the project to a new filename and replace the vector layer(s) with the rendered raster layer). AS happily works with both vector and raster layers.

For animating characters I tend to prefer vector layers, but I know some people are fond of raster-based characters. Therm0s posted a nice example of that style in the Share You Work forum a while back (called Mr Lumpkin or something similar).

If you are using vector layers and you haven't hand-crafted your character in Anime Studio (you've used the freehand tool a lot or you've imported your character from another application), you might want to give 7feet's point reduction script a try (if you're an AS Pro user) if your vector curves have excessive point density.
Note you can also tweak the freehand tool settings to get less points (try something like about 30 on both settings, from memory, to get a quite low density but less accurate freehand line).

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
clay82es

ok

Post by clay82es »

Well, I haven't used Retas (I'm just a hobbyist), but if you had a non-animating Anime Studio layer (background or prop) with a high density of vector points and curves you could certainly render it to a raster image (hide all the other layers first) in AS and import the raster image instead (I'd save the project to a new filename and replace the vector layer(s) with the rendered raster layer). AS happily works with both vector and raster layers.

For animating characters I tend to prefer vector layers, but I know some people are fond of raster-based characters. Therm0s posted a nice example of that style in the Share You Work forum a while back (called Mr Lumpkin or something similar).

If you are using vector layers and you haven't hand-crafted your character in Anime Studio (you've used the freehand tool a lot or you've imported your character from another application), you might want to give 7feet's point reduction script a try (if you're an AS Pro user) if your vector curves have excessive point density.
Note you can also tweak the freehand tool settings to get less points (try something like about 30 on both settings, from memory, to get a quite low density but less accurate freehand line).

Regards, Myles.
Thank you very much Myles and I in agreement with you, but I talk about if AS in the future could have a raster layer. For example when we talk about the traditional animation we are talking about the normal drawing by steps. You begin for a simple lines, the next step you draw the boxes for make the structure of the character, you trace the new lines and the end you make the clean up, and after if you could to convert to a vector layer to deform the character.
For that reason I have compared it with Retas.