anamorphic video with Final Cut Pro 3

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BillyWang

anamorphic video with Final Cut Pro 3

Post by BillyWang »

I have a question. I'm trying to make MOHO files compatible (without having to render them in final cut pro 3) alongside my anamorphic video from my Sony DVX100a. It's suppose to be 16x9 out of my camera. So what should be my pixel size of my quicktime files that I export out of MOHO?
Please help~!
myles

Post by myles »

There are multiple resolutions which claim to be, or at least to display at 16:9, with varying values of truth. Projectors are notorious for their range of resolutions, e.g. see http://www.projectorcentral.com/format_resolution.htm
High definition (HDTV) formats use 1,920x1,080 pixels or 1,280x720 for 16:9

It might be better to read the specification sheet for your video camera, or get the resolution from a video/multimedia player that is playing a sample from the videocam.

For NTSC DVD format, a common 16:9 resolution is 720x480 - which isn't really 16:9, but basically only 405 lines get used for non-anamorphic 16:9. However, if the video uses anamorphic non-square pixels the full 720x480 is "stretched" to fit a 16:9 ratio - for a decent not-so-technical explanation, see
http://www.maxent.org/video/16x9.html
For PAL DVD, 16:9 is supported within a resolution of 720x576.

Does normal video from your camera look tall and skinny when played back on the computer screen, but okay when viewed on a 16:9 TV screen?
That's the anamorphic effect. The DVD has a "flag" saying "I'm 16:9 anamorphic" and the DVD player stretches the video signal appropriately.

However, Moho doesn't have an anamorphic render option - you may have to render at about 853x480 (assuming you are using NTSC), then resize the video down to 720x480, making all your Moho scenes and characters look tall and skinny (compressed horizontally) so they are stretched to normal shape when treated as anamorphic video.

All my information comes from reading - I have never yet worked with anamorphic video. Someone please step in and correct me if I've got anything (or just about everything) wrong.

Regards, Myles.