Volunteers moderators antispam! Let's clean up the forum.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

red hamster

Volunteers moderators antispam! Let's clean up the forum.

Post by red hamster »

I suggest the enlistment of volonteers moderators anti spam, with the task of deleted all the spam posts as soon as they detected them.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Actually being done but the clown doing it has been bombing the forum faster than we can delete. I already spent an hour today deleting and still many more posts. I suppose the retard is mad because we've complained and sent him mean letters -boohoo. I'm contacting some people now because he has me really pissed off but ultimately we need Mike to block his whole IP range.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
red hamster

Post by red hamster »

If he use some bot or automatic script for spamming or is simply a mean motherf----r , he may kills this forum.
We need a solution or the As forum will be dead and closed
a block of ip, a call of the postal police or another sofware with more powerfull security procedure.
:(

Perhaps, keep a subforum for host and make all the other availabe only for costumers.
How dedice who is a costumer? Easy: make a movie using as, post it and you get the access to all the forum.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Unfortunately much of this will end up dumped on Mike but he is the only one with admin access. Sure it's a pain with all he's got to do. I don't particularly want more work but if Fahim or Mike want to risk giving someone else Admin access -unless he can assign additional powers to moderators to block IP's- then we could block those IP's as they are caught.

I've taken some other steps as well. We should know in the next day or two if all goes well. Hopefully our 'friend' will reconsider.
Last edited by bupaje on Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
red hamster

Post by red hamster »

Hope this works .. :(
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

I can only reinforce what Bupaje wrote there. Emails have been sent to Mike to draw his attention to the problem.

Emails have also gone to a number of authoritiesm including the US, Korea and in HongKong (where the videos may be houses - currently people are checking to see if it's a proxy server).

It's know he is attacking other forums as well and they are taking action. If caught, he will go down. In Russia, a guy doing this was blugeoned to death in is apartment ... the punishment was perhaps a little heavy handed but it did prevent him re-offending: spamming at this level is a very dangerous game.

The long solution is not for more moderators but for asditional additional administrators. They can be part of eF or upgraded moderators here.

Rhoel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bupaje - I'll go back and look at my forum admin area and see if there is a way of granting localized admin permissions to moderators: From memory you can't but there has been several software upgrades revently and that permissions may now be included.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Rhoel wrote:... In Russia, a guy doing this was blugeoned to death in is apartment ...
Seriously? This actually happened?

Good grief... I think someone is reading my mind. In my fantasies I want to wipe the smirk off their faces... with a blunt object...

... unfortunately I am wracked with guilt when I step on a spider... so... just fantasies...

... okay... uh... very detailed fantasies. Fantasies that would make Cheney and Rumsfeld look away in horror.

Have to go now. Need to gently place this spider outside in a safe place. It would be ironic if the spiders are reincarnated spammers.

EDIT:

Karma!!! Bad Karma! That's what got him!

It had nothing to do with the spam. He picked up two women who drugged him. He woke up while being robbed and was beaten to death.

-vern
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Well, I can understand the frustration but does seem a bit extreme. Have to admit I've had fantasies over the years of using my imaginary super sleuthing powers to appear on the doorsteps of some of these clowns and scare the heck out of them. Most of us are just too busy, or too sane to go that far though.

@Rhoel - I'm guessing that this ability is there in the core security policies of Windows and Linux/Unix as I know that some programs I have used -like ezboard, my current CMS and a few others offer this ability to customize the powers of different user groups - I guess that stuff like phpBB usually needs to create a simplified way for users to access these security policies and settings as it is a real brain buster (I tried to adjust these in a small office network and it almost made my brain explode). Maybe there is a mod available even if it is not part of the core functionality.
DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

... In Russia, a guy doing this was blugeoned to death in is apartment ...
:shock:
unfortunately I am wracked with guilt when I step on a spider... so... just fantasies...
Personnally, I obviously pay more respect to inocent ugly insects than to spammers... So let's all take a shoes and swat spammers !!! :wink:

I do not frequent this forum very often but I noticed all these anoying spam posts. I hope the administrator of this forum went to the police office and file a complaint, giving all the spammer's IP at different hours. Spamming has became a serious offence in most countries, and nobody can hide on the internet, so he has no chance to escape.
________
My webcams hookup
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

It seems some of the messages got through as the front is strangely silent today.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

So quiet and peaceful. I can actually spend more time here being helpful in the obvious ways.

;)

-vern
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

heyvern wrote:It had nothing to do with the spam. He picked up two women who drugged him. He woke up while being robbed and was beaten to death.
-vern
Thanks for the update on this one - the case dropped out of sight after the initial news broke. It is a good example of the kind of guys behind the problem. There is a better case study around, = Neil Entwistle. He is back in America after being extradited for the murder of his wife and kid. The report does detail his failed "internet get rich quick" scheme, which websites he owned and the dismal state of his finances.

What is undisputed is the vast majority of spammer do not make money from thier activites. People know that a good site is a good site and doesn't need to spam to draw traffic. The one which caused so much greif here was different - he/they were into identity thefts. The site required the downloading of video codex to play the movies. I understand this .exe file carried spyware in its payload. When I tracked the website, the video codec appeared to be coming from Hong Kong - that was as far as I traced it. Unfortunately, the 6.7 earthquake which hit south of Taiwan killed many of the undersea fiber-optic cables, reducing the asia net to near standstill. That stopped me tracing the registrant and any aliases/proxies they were using.

But if anyone was foolish enough to download the video codex, they need to have their machine thoroughly cleaned. At the very least, they need to have a good firewall in place to stop stuff being sent put. BitDefender and ZoneAlarm are good options.

Time to stop house cleaning and getting back to the real fun of animating.

Thanks to Mike for putting the block in place.

Rhoel
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Often spyware has gotten so sophisticated that it acts like a virus, and can only be securely removed by backing up your data, formatting the harddrive, and reinstalling windows, unfortunately.

If that isn't a good reason to use a Linux distribution for your surfing and emailing habits, I don't know what is. Windows has become just too vulnerable for surfing the Net, unless you're very, very careful.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

The Russian case is worth looking at on Wikipedia. The guy sent over 25 million emails promoting his Language courses during 2003-4. He was eventually forced off the internet.

What was interesting was the spammer got spammed. A coordinated effort by other companies and organisations set-up computers to continuously dial all his landlines.

His actions damaged Russia's global access to the internet since many server adminstators simply blocked all .ru domain emails. That trend continues today - many site owners, especially bloggers and forum operators routinely block all Russian (and ex-russian satellites such as the Ukraine) sign-ups to prevent spam. Countries such as Korean are now also routinely banned.

Spam will continue until there is an Interpol type police force who can tracedown and long-jail sentence the purpertators; their physical removal from society is the best protection we have.

Rhoel
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

I wonder if Mike or Fahim implemented the IP block -or some other method? I got a message back with contact info to report the company to the Malaysian authorities but am not going to go through all the trouble if this guy has gotten his sites removed by the ISP already.