VECTOR VS. IMAGE

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

artfx

VECTOR VS. IMAGE

Post by artfx »

I notice the characters that come with Anime Studio are made up of image layers. They are not vector lines but a group of png files. Is this preferable? Rendering them in HD makes for some jagged edges.

Doesn't this also take up more memory and make it impossible to export as Flash?
----
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
LEARN HOW TO Make YOur Own Animated Film!
Get Video Training to Show You How!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

To answer your last question first -- you can export bitmap images to Flash, as long as they don't deform in any way, As soon as they do (which is likely if they are linked to bones), Flash won't import them.

Obviously eFrontier already had this artwork available, and, instead of converting it to vectors, chose to stick a boned rig inside it and make it available for users. You can export animation using this to other formats, or convert the images to vectors yourself.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
idragosani

Re: VECTOR VS. IMAGE

Post by idragosani »

artfx wrote:I notice the characters that come with Anime Studio are made up of image layers. They are not vector lines but a group of png files. Is this preferable? Rendering them in HD makes for some jagged edges.

Doesn't this also take up more memory and make it impossible to export as Flash?
There was a big thread on this very topic last week, whether it's better to use PNGs imported from high-end design tools or to design stuff right inside Anime Studio (I think the real gist of the thread was dissatisfaction some folks had with Anime Studio's drawing tools).

I think doing character animation with vector art is the way to go in ASP... using images is fine for cutout animation.

-- Brett
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
Anime Studio Pro 8.1 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 11.04 : Cintiq 12wx
artfx

Post by artfx »

Yes I saw the one about the drawing tools (which I don't agree with) and there was a much older thread about the specific characters offered in raster format too, but neither quite directly came to the answers given here. Thanks guys. I will definitely be all about vector!
----
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

artfx wrote:Yes I saw the one about the drawing tools (which I don't agree with) and there was a much older thread about the specific characters offered in raster format too, but neither quite directly came to the answers given here. Thanks guys. I will definitely be all about vector!
Between Anime Studio Pro and Mirage, you've got the best of both worlds, IMHO!

-- Brett
Anime Studio Pro 8.1 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 11.04 : Cintiq 12wx
artfx

Post by artfx »

idragosani wrote:

-- Brett
Yeah, depending on the project I could defintiely see doing a lot of stuff in Anime Studio and rendering it out to be composited in and combined with animation and FX in Mirage.

Right now though I am also interested in the swf export abilities and vector for possibly doing longer series work using charcter rigs. Time will tell.
----
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

artfx wrote:
idragosani wrote:

-- Brett
Yeah, depending on the project I could defintiely see doing a lot of stuff in Anime Studio and rendering it out to be composited in and combined with animation and FX in Mirage.

Right now though I am also interested in the swf export abilities and vector for possibly doing longer series work using charcter rigs. Time will tell.
I think it might work well also with animated backgrounds that would be difficult (and tedious) to animate by hand.

Have you seen the stuff from "Sealed with a Kiss" by Phil Nibbelink? It was done entirely with Flash and Moho, all by himself (and a wacom tablet).

http://www.coldhardflash.com/2006/10/on ... wings.html
artfx

Post by artfx »

What an article! I knew about the movie but had no idea he used Vector to pull it off. I especially knew nothing about use of Moho. I figured being an EX Disney guy, he just did in traditionally.

I wonder if he started such a project today how much faster he could go with today's computers and the latest software. Amazing achivement! I hope I can do that one day with my anime stories.
----
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

artfx wrote:What an article! I knew about the movie but had no idea he used Vector to pull it off. I especially knew nothing about use of Moho. I figured being an EX Disney guy, he just did in traditionally.

I wonder if he started such a project today how much faster he could go with today's computers and the latest software. Amazing achivement! I hope I can do that one day with my anime stories.
I thought it was amusing he was actually considering using the venerable DPaint on an Amiga....
artfx

Post by artfx »

Yeah... I gotta admit. Dpaint and the Amiga took me far in my early anime creation days. ;)
----
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

artfx wrote:Yeah... I gotta admit. Dpaint and the Amiga took me far in my early anime creation days. ;)
Definitely... it was the first paint program I ever used that supported onionskinning and cel animation.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

DPaint was a highly innovative program by EA. It is a pitty that Commodore's bankruptcy prevented the company to continue to develop a platform that was once very important for television and game artists. Loved to have seen the Commodore 65 in production as a consumer computer. Well, it turned out that Jack Tramiel wasn't a second Steve Jobs ;)
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

idragosani wrote:Have you seen the stuff from "Sealed with a Kiss" by Phil Nibbelink? It was done entirely with Flash and Moho, all by himself (and a wacom tablet).

http://www.coldhardflash.com2006/10/one ... wings.html
WOW! This is a mind-blowing achievement. Despite what the LA Times says about it, I will not only see it, but probably buy it.