Drawing tools AS vs Moho

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Windmill

Drawing tools AS vs Moho

Post by Windmill »

Hi- I disliked moho because the drawing tools felt extremely limited. Have they been upgraded in AS? I'm a photoshop user you see and the switch to the moho drawing tools was painful.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

No, the tools are exactly the same. Internally, Anime Studio is called Moho 5.5. There are some new tools, however, that have been developed by Fazek, that might be interesting, though it is no approximation of Photoshop. It just solves many of the problems users had with drawing and animating. The tools work in Moho as well, so you can test them without switching to AS.

See: http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3507
Bones3D

Post by Bones3D »

The drawing tools in Moho/Anime Studio are different from those you might find in programs like Adobe Illustrator, in that they are spline-based, rather than bezier curves. So they tend to operate more like tools common to many 3D applications, instead of your typical page layout application.

Personally, I like the Moho/AS drawing tools more than the typical toolset found in other vector drawing applications. (They have a much smaller learning curve than bezier tools.) However, this process also breaks vector compatibility with most external applications. In my case, this means my work has to be rasterized before I can use it in other programs. But for my purposes, this works out just fine in the end.

As with most programs out there, your milage may vary if you aren't experienced with the tools they use. It's best to research this ahead of time before committing to a specific product.
8==8 Bones 8==8
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

i'm teaching AnimeStudio to a little class.
a student was fighting with AS tools, saying "bad words" (i don't know how to traduce it to english), the next week he contact me, he discovered he loved AS tools, "it's absolutely different to all softwares (i'm designer), is a paradigm change, i have to start from zero and understand all again".
i think so.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Well, I think it is because animators like having control over their artwork. In Moho / AS you have a lot more control than in some other programs, where there is a feeling of control, but no real control, either because the controls are too complicated, or hidden from view.